Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Carbon fletching?

Buckhunter

Is there anything special I have to do to get the old fletch off my carbon's?I'm worried about taking off the camo finish when I try to take the old one's off.These are the first carbon I've owned so I've never refletched them before.

Buckhunter:
I have refletched only a few carbons. I really don't think there is a way to remove fletch without some minor damage to the shafts. I carefully scraped mine off and finished with steel wool. Although the shafts showed the results of this process, I do not think I reduced the integrity of the shafts by doing this. There may be a chemical, such as acetone, but there again you are risking damaging the shaft material. I personally do not care if my arrows are the most beautiful in the woods, as long as they fly properly and are sound, so minor appearance flaws do not bother me. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Perhaps someone in the whitetail conference will give us the proper method for refletching our carbon arrows.
Don

Buckhunter...you did not mention what brand of shafts you are shooting.If you are shooting goldtips you will not damage the shafts by scraping off the old fletching.Their camo finish is baked right into the shaft.I have refletched quite a few without any wear ever showing.Gametrackers buff tuff is another camo finish thats tough.I know the easton evolutions cannot be scraped without taking off the finish.I learned this first hand.Also I just refletched some carbon impacts for a friend and the finish came off easily while scraping,so I dipped and crested them to cover the area.Ascetone will work for removing the glue,though I doubt the manufacturers would recommend it.Thats my two bits,I do alot of arrows,and really like the durability of the goldtips.A place called Above-Timber.com has the best prices I've seen for them on the web.

John,
The shaft's are the evolutions,so I guess I'll have to just scrape the old off and try to save the camo finish the best I can.I think the next carbon's I buy will be black with no finish on them,me and a hunt'in buddy went and shot a 3D course last weekend and by the time we got through 40 target's the finish was almost gone on the bottom half of are arrow's,he's shoot'in ICS camo hunter's.

Top Bottom