Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Carryover Oats ??

BJohnson

Last Aug-Sep. I broadcasted some oats. Like I am sure many others experienced, the plots did basically nothing due to lack of any moisture subsequent to the planting.

This spring, it appeared that last fall's oats had carried over and were growing this year. Below is a recent image of one of two plots. What is the best thing to do with a plot like this. Some local feedback I have received was to let the oats mature, dry out, and cut in mid-late summer. After the cut, lightly disc the cut oats and drag like a person would with a fall broadcast. Will this produce an oats plot for this fall's hunting seasons ?? Or are there better strategies to employ under these circumstances ??

Thanks in advance for any feedback/ideas.

picture.php

That's what I would do, and broadcast either the brassicas and radishes, or the rye, radishes, peas and clover fall mix with it.

I agree! Let it dry out and then cut and disc in. The organic matter will improve soil quality and help hold moisture with the organic matter in the soil. If you want clover next spring, throw clover in with your fall mix. You will have a lush, green clover plot early in the spring. This has worked great for me on my plots in WI.

Top Bottom