Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Caution for dogs with Wild Rye plantings

dkelley

There has been some research/discussion on the retriever training boards questioning why some of the pheasant forever CRP mixes are including Canadian and Virginia Wild Rye. Stating that the seeds or awns are being injested or simply working into dogs skin and causing some pretty serious damage to the dog.

Besides the damage to the dogs, part of the rub is that it is only being added to provide some early greenup to make it look like that planting is taken hold or that it is working as a cover crop until the NWSG take over.

I have already purchased a PF mix that I plan to plant this winter that contains the Canadian Wild Rye and I do plan on running my lab on these grounds and weighing my options on what to do with this information.

Here is one of the links:
http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36728&highlight=Canada+Wild+Rye

Usually the wild rye will not last more then one year as the other natives take over but that is good information! :)

Top Bottom