Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cazador's Birthday Eve Buck

Let me start by saying thanks to you guys for your nice posts.

I just had one of the best birthdays I can remember. I started the day taking day time pictures with my new trophy. Then skinning and capping him with my huntin' buddy. Then showing him off to all my other huntin' buddies. Then taking him to my taxidermy man and telling him the story one more time. I think I got to re-live the hunt at least 20 times yesterday.

DSC00138.jpg

Thanks again fellas,

Caz

KSArcher what town in KS do you live in? I grew up im McPherson and will down that way in a couple of weeks. Still have a brother that lives at Kanapolis lake.

I am not a big fan of long posts, but I do like to here the stories. So here an attempt at both.

I purchased 40 acres of property late last year for the sole purpose of deer hunting. I worked hard on planting food plots hanging stands and making ground blinds this summer and early fall. I kept trail monitors out all year and got some good pictures of some nice bucks including the one I harvested two days ago.

I was sitting in a stand that over looked one of three, 3 acre food plots and the edge of a milo stubble field. It is a narrow strip of woods that acts as a funnel between two different bedding areas.

This was the first time I set in this location all year due to wind conditions. After settling into the stand around 4:30, I was enjoying 12-13 Toms tearing the crap out of my clover/turnip patch when I heard something walking in from behind me. I turned to see a 1 1/2 old 8 point easing down the milo field edge from one bedding area to the other, stopping to grab a bite every now and again. After he pasted my shooting lanes I turn my binoculars back to the Toms 40 yards away in the food plot trying to pick out the big daddy Tom. After realizing deer were up and moving, I keep one I on the field edge to my back.

After a few minutes of drooling over the turkeys I happened to look over my shoulder to see legs coming along the edge of the woods on the milo field. I could not see what kind of deer it was but grabbed my bow just in case. I saw antlers and drew my bow just as he hit the shooting lane. I stopped him with a grunt and when he turned my way and I saw the width, I tried to find the split brows and the crab claws to make sure it was the right deer. After what seemed like 30 minutes, I still could not get a positive ID on him, but after such a lengthy study of antlers, decided to take him anyway.

I put the arrow a touch higher than I would have liked, but watched him run about 80 yards into the milo stubble and stop. I could not see him any longer due to the tree limbs, but knew he didn't leave the milo. I climbed down the stand to get a better look at the field only to find it "empty" of any deer.

I eased out of the area and returned to my truck and drove to my hunting buddies truck and waited for him to finish his hunt. (I probably need to mention that he also bought 40 acres at the same time I did, and our ground is joined for a total of 80 acres.) When he met me after his hunt I asked him if he saw my buck fall. He saw the whole thing from his stand on the opposite end of the milo field about 400 yards away and knew where he fell.

We drove into the field and found him easily in the head lights of the truck. To my great relief, it was the buck I was hoping he was and the party began.

Caz

Dont tell me all three pics are in the identical same spot /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Nice buck.

Dean

Top Bottom