Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ccc

Fishbonker

Life Member
There have been a couple of threads lately discussing the deer herd in Iowa. The overarching concept of too few/too many deer is one of “Cultural Carrying Capacity”.

Cultural carrying capacity refers not to how many deer this State can grow but how many deer we can all get along with. Producers and insurance companies want the deer population to be low. Hunters want the number to be high. So Iowa’s CCC is somewhere in between.

The DNR can tell we are nearing equilibrium in the CCC because fewer producers are rating the deer herd as too high whereas more hunters are saying the herd is too low. Deer/vehicle collisions are dropping. This indicates, to me anyway, that the insurance companies should be happier with the herd today than a year ago.

For several years the only drum being beaten was a drum called “Too many deer” and this drum was beaten hardest by the insurance companies and producers. The legislature heard and listened to the drum. They directed the DNR to decrease the herd to mid 1990 numbers which I believe was around 190,000 deer state wide.

The effort to decrease the herd started in earnest a few years ago after we, the hunters, listened to the drum being beaten by the DNR at the request of the legislature. That drum was called “Kill does”. We heard and we listened to the drum.

Now we are the ones beating the drum and it is called “Too few deer”. It is my hope that the legislature will hear and listen to our drum and have faith in us as hunters and the biology side of the DNR not the budget side to get the herd to the prescribed cultural carrying capacity we can all live with.

We must beat the drum of “Too few deer”, we must beat the drum loudly for a very long time to be heard by the legislature or the pendulum of cultural carrying capacity will swing much too far to the “lower numbers are better side”.

You can beat the drum in several ways. First, join a group i.e. pay dues to a group, that most closely represents your views on deer and deer hunting in IOWA (of course I’m partial to the IBA). Second, sign up at Iowa White Tails Forever to stay informed of legislative initiatives and then contact your Representative and Senator about your views. Believe me they do listen. They may not always agree with you but remember you are a voter and you can work to change who sits in that chair at the Capital. Third, contact the DNR about how many deer you are or perhaps aren’t seeing.

One more thing before I crawl back into my cave. In the past and still to this day we have been the main herd management tool, except for the occasional Chevy, in this State. There are many many areas in the State that are still overrun with deer. The reasons are varied but it all comes down, in my opinion, to hunters losing access to land and therefore the ability to manage the population. There are those groups out there who lobby the Legislature and the budget side of the DNR for the “right” to hunt their land under the guise of herd management or those who would turn the deer herd, a natural resource, into a cash cow to be milked until her teats are bloodied and blistered and her udder dry. We must stand up and say hunting is a privilege in Iowa and not a right of ownership and as such the privilege of hunting is something to be earned not purchased by the highest bidder. If the rules regarding nonresident landowners are changed from the status quo we will have lived in the halcyon days of deer hunting in Iowa and our deer hunting future will indeed be sold to the highest bidder.

I’m crawling back into my cave now and rolling the rock behind me.

The ‘Bonker

Wow, what a well crafted writeup. IBA...check. IWF...check. Email to DNR...GUILTY. I've been meaning to do that one for some time now, just keep finding excuses. With the inclimate weather in route, I think I'll get one on the way.

Well put Bonker..... not bad for an old, senile, and fading old man.... ;) hahahahaha

I agree 100%

It's important to be organized, and do our part, these two groups are looking out for Iowa's deer hunters and the health of Iowa's deer herd. I am a proud member of the Iowa Bowhunters Association and have signed up for legislative updates on the Iowa Whitetails Forever website. I encourage all of you to do the same if you value Iowa's hunting traditions like I do. Here are the links to the two organizations Bonker mentioned.

http://www.iowabowhunters.org/

http://www.iowawhitetailsforever.com/

Well put 'bonker! :way:

I am guilty of not contacting the right people with my concerns. I am a member of IBA, and will now look into Iowa Whitetails Forever.

Thanks for this post!

Doesn't hurt to beat the Drum. Makes you feel better too. But,,usually,, He who handles the most $, beats the Loudest drum,,,unfortunately. Still you need to make your voice heard.

Bonker said "We must stand up and say hunting is a privilege in Iowa and not a right of ownership and as such the privilege of hunting is something to be earned not purchased by the highest bidder."
Let me ask this, I have been coming to Iowa for almost a decade and know residents who don't pay a dime of tax to the state of Iowa and basically live on welfare, but buy a resident hunting license. So they have "earned" the privilege by simply residing in Iowa; while many NR's landowners pay at least something.
That said, I have been all over the board on this issue as I listen to both sides. At the end of the day I have concluded the system should remain as is for NR landowners. They can archery hunt every 3 years, and hunt every year with the shotgun if they know someone with whom they can party hunt.
The only unresolved problem is the NR who owns a lot of land, several hundred acres plus, and only receives one doe tag. From a management standpoint one doe tag is not enough, but what to do?

The NR who owns hundreds of acres, and only receives one doe tag can do what many farmers who don't hunt their land at all do. Contact the DNR, and put your land on a hunting list. Anybody resident or nonresident can contact you for permission to deer hunt through the DNR.

The only unresolved problem is the NR who owns a lot of land, several hundred acres plus, and only receives one doe tag. From a management standpoint one doe tag is not enough, but what to do?

If the NR landowner is sincere in his herd management efforts he can enroll in the depredation program where he can give willing hunters an opportunity to kill his does. OR the NR landowner can contact hunters in the area and offer up his land. The problem with that is the folks who will not respect his wishes and shoot whatever they want. At least with the depredation program the tags are doe only.
I guess my concept of “earn the privilege” has more to do with respect for the land owner or the ground they hunt than with how they earn a living. But point very well taken.
The ‘Bonker

The NR who owns hundreds of acres, and only receives one doe tag can do what many farmers who don't hunt their land at all do. Contact the DNR, and put your land on a hunting list. Anybody resident or nonresident can contact you for permission to deer hunt through the DNR.
Anyone who owns land for hunting or recreation weather it is r or n/r knows that this is not an option. I have tried this and my n/r neighbors have let people hunt for does only and it has turned out very badly. Bucks that were shot, trash, gates that were not closed,stressed deer, and servere trespassing problems in the following years by these people and friends of them. Once people see what you have and if you can not be there to guard it many people will be back when your not there. Very very bad experience.

I agree. That's why I view this as a legit problem. Folks don't buy property to let strangers come on and have run of the place. A management issue facing NR landowners which does spill over to adjoining acreage. Any ideas?

Well, the obvious answer is for people not to buy land where they don't live. This could be outta state or even accross the state. In reality, this isn't gonna happen. Realisitc solution? Trust in your fellow man seems to be a nonopener, so perhaps hire a local to manage the land, which means hire someone to patrol the ground.

Which brings me back to my original thought, if the status quo changes this situation will only get worse.

The 'Bonker

I agree. That's why I view this as a legit problem. Folks don't buy property to let strangers come on and have run of the place. A management issue facing NR landowners which does spill over to adjoining acreage. Any ideas?
I would guess you really don't have a deer problem if you're not willing to reduce the herd. Farmers here in Iowa don't buy land to let strangers come on and have run of the place either. And don't tell me the farmer is there to watch over his land while the NR isn't. Todays farmer has too many acres, and not enough time to run around babysitting hunters who ask permission to hunt. Many own several farms; spread more than 10 miles apart. Thus the need for hunters to control the deer numbers. The hunters that don't close gates, drive through planted fields, etc. don't receive permission to hunt again.

Anyone who owns land for hunting or recreation weather it is r or n/r knows that this is not an option. I have tried this and my n/r neighbors have let people hunt for does only and it has turned out very badly. Bucks that were shot, trash, gates that were not closed,stressed deer, and servere trespassing problems in the following years by these people and friends of them. Once people see what you have and if you can not be there to guard it many people will be back when your not there. Very very bad experience.
So; you live in Iowa, and believe NR's should have the right to shoot as many deer as residents? What exactly is your deer management problem? Stressed deer? I would think if you had too many deer on your property; you would care less if they were stressed. You simply would want them thinned out. If you have a tresspassing problem, post your land. Then prosecute! I own land, and have dealt with all of these problems along with severe theft. That hasn't stopped me from granting permission to hunt. I just take more care into who i let hunt.

Cedar, point well taken, but I think there is a huge idealogical difference between farmers and the serious R or NR hunter who is chasing big deer. We all know most NR's buying land are fairly serious hunters as well as many R's. Most of the career farmers I've met in Iowa consider deer a nuisance animal and could care less who kills them,(just ask Iowa's own Farm Bureau who supports more and more tags) which is a far cry from the serious bowhunter in Iowa, again, be it R or NR.

Last edited:
Cedar, point well taken, but I think there is a huge idealogical difference between farmers and the serious R or NR hunter who is chasing big deer. We all know most NR's buying land are fairly serious hunters as well as many R's. Most of the career farmers I've met in Iowa consider deer a nuisance animal and could care less who kills them,(just ask Iowa's own Farm Bureau who supports more and more tags) which is a far cry from the serious bowhunter in Iowa, again, be it R or NR.
So; this really isn't about managing deer numbers on your land. This is about being able to trophy hunt every year like you can in your own state! All i can say is if that ever comes to be, i'll be a rich man. My land should double in value, but the number of trophy bucks will dwindle to nothing in short order.

Top Bottom