Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cedar grove???

Daver

PMA Member
I have an approximately 1/3 acre pretty dense cedar grove on my farm. Some of the trees are probably 30' to 40' tall or better and there is essentially nothing growing beneath them because everything is shaded out. The only discernable wildlife use of this area is I have seen turkeys roost in these cedars on really cold, windy nights. Deer occasionally pass through the area, but really do not linger from what I can tell.

I am strongly considering letting the 'ol chainsaw "do some talking" in this area this winter, thinning approximately 50% of the trees there and opening things up so I can then think about getting something to grow on the ground in this area.

I suppose the diameter of some of the trunks are between 18" and 20" or so, is there any value in trying to sell the logs? What thoughts are out there in terms of how to improve this area from a wildlife standpoint?

Thanks in advance!

Cedars are great for log homes, not sure about their log value otherwise. I would encourage you to cut some of those cedars to open the place up some and see what sprouts before you do any kind of planting. You may be suprised what is already there. Is this a south facing slope the cedars are on?

For the most part, the cedar grove is on a bit of a knob and you could say that there is some south facing, some west facing and some north facing parts of it. Probably about 1/3 to 1/2 of it is south or west facing though.

Dave...I would check with our IDNR district forester first and see what he has to say?

Aaron Lumley is filling in for Ray Lehn but shoot him an email before you fire up the chainsaw maybe.

[email protected]

You could probably cut them into 8' lengths and take them down to the Keo sale barn and sell them as fence posts if nothing else....;)

Top Bottom