Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

cedars

bloodhoundhandler

I spent a couple hours last weekend transplanting small cedar trees and plan on doing a bunch this weekend. Anybody done this before does it work or am I wasting my time? Like to create some nice bedding cover

I spent a couple hours last weekend transplanting small cedar trees and plan on doing a bunch this weekend. Anybody done this before does it work or am I wasting my time? Like to create some nice bedding cover

I was wondering the same thing.. I was thinking about digging a bunch up out of the ditches and trying them...

I have done this alot,, from tiny, to about waist high,,, and I have had few, very few,,casualties. Get a good clump of sod with them. Roughly start digging around the tree at the outside edge of the branches, whatever the size. They are tough. Just dig a big enough hole and plop them in. Push some sod back around them and you are good...

As said all ready the smaller trees take right off , while the bigger trees will stress more and not grow nearly as well,since the tap root is so long you cant get it all. Plus the little ones are alot easier. I like digging them from grassy fields, rather than sandy or rocky soil so the rootball stays together. Dig your hole bigger than the rootball and put plenty of water in the hole before putting the tree in. Get them started right and you cant kill them. The first year you may have to water them if its dry midsummer.

When its real muddy you can just pull them up shove a spade in the ground to make a slot . Place the roots in the slot stomp on both sides if it to close the slot. Ive did this with trees forever . You wont have to water even ! Just do it early after frost is out. Wear a good leather glove they are a stickery little tree.

I find it easier to buy seedlings because I do so many BUT your method, which I've done many times, actually has a better success rate and growth rate. Your trees will be in far less shock than ones you buy, you take from nearby and replant asap- that really helps. It will help you growth rate too. I had 12" trees I transplanted from 100 yards away and 4 years later they are about 4-5' tall. It's time consuming and a pain BUT if you're cool with it- it's a great way to grow. I'm going to say 6-8 years before it's a good screen for poachers, possibly longer, it goes by FAST though!!

When its real muddy you can just pull them up shove a spade in the ground to make a slot . Place the roots in the slot stomp on both sides if it to close the slot. Ive did this with trees forever . You wont have to water even ! Just do it early after frost is out. Wear a good leather glove they are a stickery little tree.

Yep done this with zero loss. The smaller the better.

Top Bottom