Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Central Iowa Axis Buck!!!!!

ironwood

I have never seen this animal before and may never see him again but it was a big surprize to get a picture of an axis buck right here in central Iowa.
538-hunter_6-30-12_374_original.jpg

With the markings on his butt I wonder if he is a fallow buck?Thats the neat thing about trail cams. You never know what will show up.

What in the world is the deal with that?!?!? An "AXIS BUCK"? Like one was on a game farm and escaped or something?

I got one on camera about 3 years ago was confirmed they had escaped from farm about 4-5 miles away. Still makes for an interesting round of pics

Pretty wild! I glassed a fallow buck in September a few years ago... I had to stare for a long time before I convinced myself I wasn't hallucinating! haha. Hope you get another photo and can examine for ear tags.

So would you legally be able to harvest that animal?

Yes, in Iowa I was told you're aloud to. Or at least that's what a DNR officer told me. He said does you tag say Whitetail Doe/Buck? He told me you could shoot a Axis, Roe, Whitetail, Mule, Blacktail, ect. Correct me if he was wrong.

JOSHBRNDT said:
So would you legally be able to harvest that animal?

The answer is yes you can harvest this animal this is a non-native species of Iowa and escaped from some type of game farm - I shot a 1800 pd fully mature bull buffalo this way on my farm escaped from the buffalo farm and found him on my food plot called the DNR and they said it total legal and they didn't even have to put any tag on it at all - just asked me if I shot it to take care of the meat and I did all 1000 pds of it !!!

whitetails148 that would get me pumped up to fill the freezer. I am betting I never see this thing in person but you never know.

Axis is PHENOMENAL meat. I have a buddy in San Antonio who knocks down a few free range animals a year and shares the harvest. Go put an arrow in him.

I know it has spots, but are you sure it is an axis deer? My buddy shot a 145" buck with spots on it a few years ago that was in NA Whitetail magazine. Think it could be a buck that won't lose his spots like that one?

Top Bottom