Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cereal Grains and cover crops

Yours should do great with plentiful soil moisture already Ollie :way:

August 27th, 2011

Overseeding winter rye into other standing crops such as soybeans can work well but success is dependent entirely on enough rainfall to germinate the seed and continued soil moisture to allow the seeds to send down roots. Even when rain appears imminent, it often doesn't rain hard or long enough to do the job leaving us to wonder...how long can the rye seed lay there and still be viable? Usually several months if need be...

We mowed a field of mature rye and clover in July, never received a drop of rain and then in late August I tilled the field to prepare for another planting of the rye mix. A week later when I returned to till n urea I noticed that even without rain, the tilled under rye seed was germinating thanks to a tiny bit of moisture in the soil.

Ryesprout2.jpg

So rye seed can lay on the soil surface for a long time and still germinate when we get sufficient rainfall...one of the reasons why winter rye is outstanding as a food plotters tool...

Ryesprout.jpg

I finished planting the first field of the rye mix yesterday...P&K and ag lime had been previously applied so I tilled in 200#'s of urea pulling the packer behind and then broadcasted 100#'s of Jerry oats per acre (almost any oats will do)

IMG_5925.jpg

You can mix everything but I chose in this case to broadcast each seperately

IMG_5930.jpg

Setting on the Earthway bag seeder

IMG_5927.jpg

The 50#'s of winter rye seed which is smaller and spreads farther

IMG_5929.jpg

IMG_5928.jpg

Setting

IMG_5931.jpg

then 50#'s of peas...setting roughly like the oats, inoculate is optional for peas since they will be scarfed up quickly

IMG_5933.jpg

IMG_5932.jpg

Then I ran tiller and cultipacker back over it to lightly stir the seeds into the top 1-2" of soil and firm the soil to prepare for the smaller seeds. I run the tractor faster but at lower rpms and don't drop the tiller in to full depth for this process.

IMG_5934.jpg

Cultipacking is a crucial element in all of this but one can use an ATV, tractor tires, heavy plank, light harrow etc. to cover large seeds and firm the soil.

IMG_5935.jpg

Cultipackers work far better then a flat roller because the ridged wheels support the weight and just firm soil around and over seed with out actually "packing" soil flat like a lawn roller.

IMG_5936.jpg

In this case we are establishing alfalfa and red clover for hay and to attract deer as well so I sowed 20$'s of alfalfa seed

IMG_5937.jpg

and 10#'s of red clover along with 5#'s of groundhog forage radish seed

IMG_5938.jpg

and repacked with the tiller up to gently firm the soil and cover the tiny seeds in the top 1/8" to 1/4" of soil

IMG_5926.jpg

The ground is desperately dry with no rain in the forecast so it's unlikely that anything will germinate until we get sufficient rains but it will leap to life once the rains return to our area. Please remember to pray for our friends on the east coast as they deal with Hurricane Irene... ;)

all of my clover plots are dead, with no rain in sight, I will be planting the rye, oats, peas, ghfr, on my farm ( if it rains) but my question is can I throw some rye and oats into one od my dead clover plots? I know the clover will come back with some rain, but will it hurt if I throw some rye and oats in? or will the clover need all the moisture and room after no rain since June? We dont have anything green on our farm, Im hoping it will rain soon and the clover will turn around.

all of my clover plots are dead, with no rain in sight, I will be planting the rye, oats, peas, ghfr, on my farm ( if it rains) but my question is can I throw some rye and oats into one od my dead clover plots? I know the clover will come back with some rain, but will it hurt if I throw some rye and oats in? or will the clover need all the moisture and room after no rain since June? We dont have anything green on our farm, Im hoping it will rain soon and the clover will turn around.

It won't hurt to add some rye...oats don't do worth a flip on top of the soil unless we get a bunch of rain. If we get enough rain to restore the clover however, it will probably out compete the rye but give it a shout and let us know how it works out?

Drought

Dbltree,

I usually plant my rye, oats, clover during the labor day weekend. This year I plan to add peas, ghfr, and chicory. However here in Oklahoma we are still extremely dry, with very little expectation of rain over the next 7 to 10 days. How long can I wait to plant this mix and expect it to add value. I'm beginning to think I should simply plant rye and oats since they have the best chance of helping this fall, and worry about clover next spring. What would u do?

Doug

You could frost seed the clover in late winter if your concerned about moisture this fall or watch the weather and if rain is imminent....get the seed on just ahead of the rain...:way:

I have my cereal grain mix planted again this year and it works great!! Just wanted to know what everyone is finding there average price per acre to plant this mix. I have around $130 an acre in seed from my local seed supplier. Does that seem high? Oh and if anybody is selling rain I would be more than happy to pay $130 an acre for that right now. None since the end of July here in southern Illinois.

80lbs winter rye
80lbs seed oats
50lbs winter peas
6lbs ladino white clover
5lbs diakon forage radish

80lbs winter rye
80lbs seed oats
50lbs winter peas
6lbs ladino white clover
5lbs diakon forage radish

This post got me thinking about what I spent per acre yesterday:
I definitely feel that I went plenty heavy with everything.

Winter rye 1 bushel @$15 - $15.00
Jerry oats 2 bushel @$9 - $18.00
Austrian peas 15 pounds @$1 - $15.00
GFR 5 pounds @$2.85 - $14.25
Alice white clover 7 pounds @$4.50 - $31.50
inoculation 1/2 bag @10.40 - $5.20

Total $98.95 per acre- not counting tax/gas/etc...

Deer hunting sure got a lot more expensive when we started to plant food plots! Hopefully we get some rain now and this stuff grows!

I'm no expert, but I'd say you could cover at least 2 acres with that mix??

Actually that is about what I use Jamie and yes you could plant 2 acres with it but I have heavy grazing pressure and they will graze that mix to the dirt! :eek:

I use
50#'s rye
100#'s oats
50#'s peas
5#'s GHFR
15#' red clover and/or 4-6#'s white clover...total can run over $100...but...plant an acre of RR corn and see what that sets you back...:rolleyes:

September 7th, 2011

I love a good steak and I wouldn't pass one up just tossed on the grill as is, but adding some spices or marinading it first can turn an ordinary steak into an outstanding one! That's a little like my cereal mix...if you on a budget or have little competition from surrounding food sources plant 50-100#'s of winter rye and 6-8#'s of VNS ladino clover and call it good!

I use oats in my mix to get more fall forage yet less spring competition from the rye as the clover grows and I use peas because it can compete with surrounding fall crops. The forage radish is also irresistible by mid October when I want deer focused on my food sources but my needs may be sightly or even greatly different from yours. The key elements should always be a combination of rye and clover with varying amounts of the other seeds depending on you budget and actual grazing needs...

I've planted over 30 acres of my rye/oats/peas/radish/clover mix so far and still have about 5 acres to finish up. A landowner and I worked together to get 7 acres planted on his farm where we had everything pre-tilled and fertilizer worked in. I used the broadcast seeder to spread the rye/oats and peas and he followed with the Brillion sowing the clovers and radish seeds and covering the large seeds at the same time.

IMG_5976.jpg

IMG_5969.jpg

Good soil moisture and the seeds covered well!

IMG_5965.jpg

IMG_5966.jpg

Most of the plantings are part of a clover, brassica and cereal grain rotation and the landowner walk seeded KopuII white clover by hand around the edges and odd areas and then seeded over it and the balance of the cereal planting with red clover and forage radish.

IMG_5964.jpg

The fields are screened well

IMG_5963.jpg

and in many cases "shaped" to pull deer closer to stands

IMG_5977.jpg

IMG_5984.jpg

We also sowed some trails and odd areas around fields with the primary purpose being to establish white clover using the rye mix to get it started and attract whitetails this fall.

IMG_5988.jpg

A little more rain would be nice right about now.... ;)

Can broadcast winter rye into an existing clover field in March or April and left to mature so that the clover plot would eventually be able to take advantage of the alleopathic properties of the rye or would it better to just spary the clover plot with Arrow, Poast or some other grass selective herbicide?

Top Bottom