Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Chain Sharpeners ??????????

strutnrut

I have been paying for someone to sharpen my chain saw chains and deceided that I should be doing it myself. I bought a chain hand file but there has to be a better and faster way. What kind of sharpeners do you use..

This is an easy one... I bought the Dremel chainsaw sharpening accessory tool a few years ago and can resharpen a chainsaw blade in about 4-6 minutes. It may not be pure professional quality, but it sure makes a big difference and it is good enough for me.

Note - because I was frequently hitting the dirt with my blade(s) since I was flush cutting hundreds of trees in my CRP acres I would have went broke getting them sharpened for a fee. I now maintain 2 "beater" blades that I have sharpened many times, one of which is nearing the end I think. I also have one "good" blade that I never let hit the dirt, yet, and I resharpen that one too, I just take a little more time to do so.

there are a couple of differant makes of electric sharpeners. 120V AC, 12V DC, it depends on where/how much you use. The big advanage outside of the cost and convience is that you can learn how to customize your chain for you. More HP or soft wood, a little more bite, and so forth.

I still use a plain old chain file and have for lots of years. A nice bench vise can really speed things up. Keep the file clean of shavings with a can of WD40. It's a five minute deal...

I tried a small round stone with a die grinder and you just can beat a sharp file.

You could buy a lot of brand new chains for the price of these!
grin.gif

CHAIN GRINDER

TWO FINE CHAIN SAW SHARPENERS Article

GAMN' CHAIN SAW SHARPENER

I've used one like this to make it easier to hold the right angle
smirk.gif

CLAMP ON STYLE CHAIN SAW FILING GUIDE

I have the dremel chain saw sharpener and I love it. We cut 8-10 pickup loads of firewood a year and I wouldn't be without it.

You're supposed to sharpen them?

No really- just a good file and a steady hand. If I mess one up in the timber I can usually fix it once I get the chain on the workbench.

Top Bottom