Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Chainsaws

Field Service

Well already think forward to next year's plotting. I need to clear a bunch of brush and do some needed tsi. I'm tired of using junk chain saws and want to purchase one quality saw. I have heard good things about Stihl. Anything else I should consider? Budget would allow up to $500 and I’m torn between a 16 or 18” bar. It would be used for a small amount of firewood every year as well.

Appreciate your thoughts recommendations; I want to get the right one the first time.

Hands down you want a Stihl. I cut alot of firewood and have had other brands. Finally got smart and bought a Stihl. Best saw I've ever owned. I also have the 18" bar. You can get a smaller bar and chains if you want.

Check weight to hp ratio. Stihls can be heavy and like anything, the new ones aren't as good as the old ones that built the name. I have a newer 18" Husqvarna 55 Rancher and an old Craftsman 16". Both have been good but if I had it to do all over I would look seriously at Jonsered.

One other thing- on TSI, you don't need a big saw and every pound seems like ten by the end of the day. 18" bar is nice but a well powered 16" or even a 14" will handle TSI and lots of firewood.

Jonsered. Your hands will love you at the end of the day. I use one at work also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JETHRO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hands down you want a Stihl. </div></div>

I strongly agree with that statement. You will not be disappointed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stihl with the 18" bar. </div></div>

This is what I use as well. Very nice size.

Stihl maybe a 025 cut hedge all winter and can aloways add a bigger bar when needed. Go light they have a bunch of power.

I love Husqvarna's. Three years ago One Cam bought a Stihl we were doing some TSI work on a property and hands down my Husqvarna outperformed the Stihl. They must turn more RPM's, or have more HP(I have never checked the specs.) they were comparable cc's, bar, etc. He decided to make a change and purchased a Husqvarna xp model and loves it. They are lighter as well which makes a world of diffrence when your cutting all day.

I ran a Stihl 012AV for 20+ years. Finally retired it this fall and bought a Stihl 250 16 inch bar. Go to the Stihl site, there is a great program to help you choose the right saw for what you are gonna do. I also have a Huskyvarny 350 with a 20 inch bar for the really big stuff. The 250 is a bit heavy and I only have a 16 inch bar on it. I use it for limbing and small trees. One feature I liked about the husky is the compression release, pretty ez to start. The Stihls, to me, are just sturdier, I bought the Husky used from a Stihl dealer.

I wanted to get the 012 rebuilt, and might still. That was one sweet saw that they haven't made for many many years.

The 'Bonker

i use an echo and it has been a great saw, actually have a pair of them, they cut great and have plenty o mustard for hackin bigger stuff, also relatively light, which stated before you can really tell at the end of the day.....also have an old stihl, heavy and powerful hog but it will probably out last about any saw out there, but nobody builds them like that anymore

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JETHRO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hands down you want a Stihl.</div></div>

i spent a lot of time cutting fire breaks in Colorado one summer and used the same saw the whole time.....we cleaned and sharpened them nightly, but it never had a motor problem and the sap from all those pines never gummed up the rotation....thats the only saw i would buy.....IMO

I have heated with wood for 17 years and completed an 80 acre TSI project last year...I've used a chainsaw a little. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I have owned Stilh, Husky, Jonsered, and now Dolmar.

My Stihl 046 Mag was a bit much for the TSI work and I needed a good light saw...I ended up with the Dolmar and I absolutely love this saw. It was recommended by a logger of 30 years.

The TSI crew that worked with me used Jonsered and they are also a great choice for TSI work.

The Husky I had was a real ripper...can't beat pure RPM's of a Husky.

You can't go wrong with any of these saws, but think light weight if you are thinking of doing any extensive TSI work.

This saw kicks A$$.....

837dolmar.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have owned Stilh, Husky, Jonsered, and now Dolmar.
</div></div>

now I know who to see when my "cheapo" chainsaw breaks down... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I forgot about Dolmar! I have never used one myself but have heard the same comments before from professionals.

I always see these threads and wonder which one creates the most discussion and loyalty- what brand of chainsaw, bow, tractor, atv... should I buy?

I have used both the Stihls and Jonsereds. I do a lot of TSI each year (in fact, worked with Ghost on his awesome property), anywhere from 150-250 acres and trust me, the Stihls, although a great saw, will wear you out with their weight. For around the ranch and general wood cutting, I would take the Stihl for sure. For TSI, you will have to pry my Jonsered from my cold, dead fingers.

• Deleted by Ishi
Show…
I'm in the market for a chainsaw. I'm looking for something to cut firewood and to carry with me on hunts to clear trees that have fallen across roads. I'm wanting a gas saw because I don't trust a battery saw to have the life or power in a pinch. $400-ish
What do you like or not like?

If looking at Stihl...... At $400 you are looking at something like a Stihl 271. That's a 50 cc saw. Solid saw. It is a Farm/ranch grade saw. The equivalent pro saw is the 261c. About $200 more. 50 cc, lighter, 1000 RPM faster, upgraded parts, etc. Mtronic carb is auto.

Based on your description of work the farm/ranch grade saws are likely more than adequate. Throw the safety chain that it comes with in the garbage and get a full chisel chain and you'll likely be happy.

Lot's of other good manufacturers out there as well.

Last edited:
If looking at Stihl...... At $400 you are looking at something like a Stihl 271. That's a 50 cc saw. Solid saw. It is a Farm/ranch grade saw. The equivalent pro saw is the 261c. About $200 more. 50 cc, lighter, 1000 RPM faster, upgraded parts, etc. Mtronic carb is auto.

Based on your description of work the farm/ranch grade saws are likely more than adequate. Throw the safety chain that it comes with in the garbage and get a full chisel chain and you'll likely be happy.

Lot's of other good manufacturers out there as well.
Agree. My #1 would be 261C but as above states, it’s a bit more. Worth it but more. Agree on 271 if saving some $. Since you are not cutting a ton- 271 be great.
Get plenty of extra chains so never using dull. Keep em sharp! I like stihls “yellow” colored chains. The “green safety chains” cut slow & just kinda suck IMO.
Buy the “blue” winter bar & chain oil. Gray oil mix & run high octane non-ethanol through it.

Top Bottom