Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Changing Iowa Trespassing Law

I'd be rigging some buried 4x4s with railroad spikes to flatten some tires in a private drive if that BS was happening.
There's many things we could do but we've have already had confrontations with guns coming out. We have pics of them trespassing sheriff says leave it alone law will do nothing. Trespassing charge will only cost us more money when they destroy equipment. Whatever you do they will retaliate and then we would retaliate until someone gets killed. Farm will get sold in another couple of years.i

Last edited:
There's many things we could do but we've have already had confrontations with guns coming out. We have pics of them trespassing sheriff says leave it alone law will do nothing. Trespassing charge will only cost us more money when they destroy equipment. Whatever you do they will retaliate and then we would retaliate until someone gets killed. Farm will get sold in another couple of years.i

And this is why we need major fines and consequences.

With the sounds of guys like these loss of privileges might not do any good. Jail time sounds like a better suit along with loss of licenses.

Loss of hunting licenses after x times is the only thing that would affect change
Kinda like saying convicted criminals can't own guns. If you take a license away from a bad person what is stopping them from still poaching/trespassing. Heck some may never get licenses to begin with. Gonna need civil penalties to reflect the crime. I'm not sure what that is just yet but definitely more than $75-$150. Sent from my iPhone using IW

My 2 cents; I agree with strengthing the trespass laws, but if you are chasing a wounded animal you should be exempt, without a weapon, animals don't know boundaries.

Now the can of worms, hunting has turned into haves and haves not in iowa, virtually ever piece of timber / hunting ground is off limits whether someone owns it for hunting or it gets leased out by third party slum lords, It's all about mine mine mine. When I was growing up there was comoradery between land owners and hunters and never saw a trespass sign. Not sure what has changed over the years but it's kind of disturbing. How are the youth supposed to get into hunting when their parents don't own land and stay into the sport that can be affordable, I know you hunt public ground but the chance of a trophy that everyone is after or dreams of is virtually off limits.

If you are in mood to change somthing, how about if a landowner receives tax deductions, forest reserve, crp, crop subsidies from the fed, or any other kind of government assistance it's automatic public hunting? Other states do that. Why are my tax dollars funding a landowners hobby? Might even help curb ridiculous land prices.

Food for thought and a different opinion for the other side of the fence.

My 2 cents; I agree with strengthing the trespass laws, but if you are chasing a wounded animal you should be exempt, without a weapon, animals don't know boundaries.

Now the can of worms, hunting has turned into haves and haves not in iowa, virtually ever piece of timber / hunting ground is off limits whether someone owns it for hunting or it gets leased out by third party slum lords, It's all about mine mine mine. When I was growing up there was comoradery between land owners and hunters and never saw a trespass sign. Not sure what has changed over the years but it's kind of disturbing. How are the youth supposed to get into hunting when their parents don't own land and stay into the sport that can be affordable, I know you hunt public ground but the chance of a trophy that everyone is after or dreams of is virtually off limits.

If you are in mood to change somthing, how about if a landowner receives tax deductions, forest reserve, crp, crop subsidies from the fed, or any other kind of government assistance it's automatic public hunting? Other states do that. Why are my tax dollars funding a landowners hobby? Might even help curb ridiculous land prices.

I'll tell you what has changed. I also grew up on a farm where we never posted our land, and many people hunted it. Today we have drug manufacturing along with money for shed horns. Then there is the money to be made from ginseng. Poaching like I've never seen in the past along with theft like no one would believe. There seems to be 10 times the seedy characters there was in the 60's, 70's, or even 80's for that matter. Today you not only have to know who you're giving permission to; you better know their family and friends! If you are concerned about where your tax dollars are going; buy your own land and find out for yourself. You make it sound like the landowner is existing because the average Joe taxpayer pays his bills. If that's the case; why aren't you a landowner?

Are you the least bit serious or just playing devil's advocate? Do you think for 1 second that the OP and many many others own their land for the soul purpose of a hunting hobby and not to farm and MAKE A LIVING? We can't get youth into hunting if it's not on private ground? I couldn't afford land at one point in my life. Know what I did about it? I BUSTED MY ASS and saved up, not complain; now I partake in all the above benefits you condone. And yes, it is mine mine mine and my family's to enjoy.

If you are in mood to change somthing, how about if a landowner receives tax deductions, forest reserve, crp, crop subsidies from the fed, or any other kind of government assistance it's automatic public hunting? Other states do that. Why are my tax dollars funding a landowners hobby? Might even help curb ridiculous land prices. Food for thought and a different opinion for the other side of the fence.
Hmmm.....interesting.

Last edited:
If you are in mood to change somthing, how about if a landowner receives tax deductions, forest reserve, crp, crop subsidies from the fed, or any other kind of government assistance it's automatic public hunting? Other states do that. Why are my tax dollars funding a landowners hobby? Might even help curb ridiculous land prices

X#

If you are in mood to change somthing, how about if a landowner receives tax deductions, forest reserve, crp, crop subsidies from the fed, or any other kind of government assistance it's automatic public hunting? Other states do that. Why are my tax dollars funding a landowners hobby? Might even help curb ridiculous land prices

X#

If you, or someone else, has received food stamps...am I entitled to come to your house and take some of the food in your cupboard?

If you, or someone else, has received a tax credit for a child...am I entitled to have that child mow my lawn for free?

If a business receives a tax break of some sort...can I go to that business and request their good(s) or service(s) for free?

I could list countless scenarios that underscore this point...but I think you can see that it is an idiotic idea to declare private property "public hunting" because the owner may have received some form of government payment.

As far as trespassing...I strongly favor more stringent laws. In particular, the repercussions for repeat offenders should be escalated, including the loss of hunting privileges for a period of time.

If you, or someone else, has received food stamps...am I entitled to come to your house and take some of the food in your cupboard?

If you, or someone else, has received a tax credit for a child...am I entitled to have that child mow my lawn for free?

If a business receives a tax break of some sort...can I go to that business and request their good(s) or service(s) for free?

I could list countless scenarios that underscore this point...but I think you can see that it is an idiotic idea to declare private property "public hunting" because the owner may have received some form of government payment.

As far as trespassing...I strongly favor more stringent laws. In particular, the repercussions for repeat offenders should be escalated, including the loss of hunting privileges for a period of time.

Daver put it better than I would have. You either go door to door and get permission(that is still possible), put in the time and energy and figure out a piece of public(seen a 170 that and a 180 that have come off public so far this year and it's early) or you work your tail off and save what you can to purchase your own piece.

Get a better paying job. Start your own business. Drive one old vehicle and use that money make monthly payments on a farm. Dave put it best but move to another state if they have such good public access.

Get a better paying job. Start your own business. Drive one old vehicle and use that money make monthly payments on a farm. Dave put it best but move to another state if they have such good public access.

Wow what car are you downgrading from that can make you a land payment?

I think farm bureau would probably be our friend on this. We just need to get farmers on board.

Maybe, maybe not. If a bill to change the trespass laws in Iowa is introduced you can bet the victims advocates, in this case the victims are the trespassers (think about it, you'll see what I mean) will require the landowners post their land with signs ever 100', be a minimum size, no less than X feet above the ground, in several languages and European circles with an androgynous figure crossing a fence with a line through it.

Who's gonna pay for that? Currently there is no mention in the statue about the need to post the ground to charge a "victim" with trespassing. I doubt FB will support anything that costs the landowners time and money. And for once I would agree with the FB.

Don't forget the County Attorney and the Sherriff are elected. If they aren't already enforcing the laws on the books that's one of the problems.

The case will enter the judicial system at the magistrate level. These judges are not directly elected by the voters, rather every county has a Magistrate Appointing Committee made up of the Chief District Judge, three of the County Supervisors and two lawyers. The Supervisors and the District Judge are elected (well, the Judge is actually "retained" because they are appointed but we do get a vote) so in a round about way through the electoral process we can have input on the magistrate appointments.

For reverence the Iowa Code for trespass is 716.7 and 716.8. .7 defines trespass and .8 defines penalties.

Top Bottom