Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Charles E. Grassley

blake

Life Member
I have phoned and emailed Charles Grassley numerous times over the years. But more this year than ever before. The following is his response to me re: Gun Control & 2nd Amendment Rights:

Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2013 10:20 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: responding to you

111 7TH AVENUE, SE, BOX 13
SUITE 6800
CEDAR RAPIDS, IA 52401-2101
(319) 363-6832
201 WEST 2ND STREET
SUITE 720
DAVENPORT, IA 52801-1817
(563) 322-4331

307 FEDERAL BUILDING
8 SOUTH 6TH STREET
COUNCIL BLUFFS, IA 51501-4204
(712) 322-7103

CHARLES E. GRASSLEY
WASHINGTON, DC 20510-1501
721 FEDERAL BUILDING
210 WALNUT STREET
DES MOINES, IA 50309-2140
(515) 288-1145

120 FEDERAL BUILDING
320 6TH STREET
SIOUX CITY, IA 51101-1244
(712) 233-1860
210 WATERLOO BUILDING
531 COMMERCIAL STREET
WATERLOO, IA 50701-5497
(319) 232-6657

Mr. Wyllie,

Thank you for taking the time to contact me with your thoughts concerning gun control. Hearing from concerned Iowans helps me perform my job better.

In the wake of the tragedies that have occurred in Newtown, Aurora, and Tucson there has been a debate on how to prevent similar tragedies from occurring. Congress needs to examine the events that have happened and learn how we can prevent such tragedies. It is also important to protect Americans’ constitutional freedoms in the process.

There have been several pieces of legislation introduced in the Senate with the goal of preventing future massacres. While these bills may be well intentioned, I have serious concerns with some of them, especially any legislation that threatens to limit Americans’ Second Amendment rights.

One piece of legislation that was introduced by Senator Schumer is S. 374, Protecting Responsible Gun Sellers Act of 2013. This legislation would require a universal background check on all gun transactions and requires gun owners to report their weapons stolen or missing within 24 hours. I voted against this bill in the Senate Judiciary Committee.

The first concern I had with this bill, and universal background checks in general, is that there is no way to enforce a universal background check without a national gun registry. That is not just my opinion, but the opinion of the Deputy Director of the National Institute of Justice. He also wrote that straw purchases and theft “would likely become larger if background checks at gun shows and private sellers were addressed.”

I also question the effectiveness of a universal background check. Criminals know they will fail a background check. Increasingly criminals obtain guns through straw purchases and theft. However, this bill would impose unnecessary burdens on private sales between two law-abiding citizens.

The bill restricts law-abiding citizens’ rights. The bill would not allow someone to lend a gun to a family member to hunt with, permit a temporary transfer in the home, or allow a friend to try their gun to see if they like it.

The bill will also render gun safety instruction impossible in many situations. Many gun safety classes take place in a school, office building, sporting goods stores, and other locations. It is only at the end that the class goes to a shooting range for live instruction. So gun safety instructors could not offer the classroom component of the course anywhere except a shooting range or at the instructor’s home.

Requiring people to report lost or stolen guns is a good idea. Many if not most gun owners do so. But making it a federal offense not to take affirmative action troubles me. I have practical and constitutional concerns about creating a new federal felony of this kind.

Another piece of legislation I have voted against is S. 150, the Assault Weapons Ban of 2013. This legislation would amend the federal criminal code to ban the import, sale, manufacture, transfer, or possession of so-called assault weapons. The legislation additionally bans pistols that can accept magazines with a capacity higher than 10 rounds, pistols that have threaded barrels, and any semiautomatic firearm with a pistol grip, detachable stocks, or folding telescopes.

I have strong concerns with passing legislation that bans guns based on their appearance. For instance, limiting magazine capacity can be circumvented by carrying multiple guns and/or magazines. The 1994 assault weapons ban did not stop Columbine and has been found ineffective by the Department of Justice. Additionally, we continue to wait for the Justice Department’s constitutional analysis of the bill. Despite statements by Department of Justice witnesses at two hearing on gun control, I have yet to see an opinion from the Department arguing that this bill is constitutional.

Our crime reduction efforts must focus on criminals and criminal activity, not on gun control. Those who use a firearm to commit a crime should serve the maximum sentence so they cannot pose a further threat to society. You can be sure that any bill that seeks to restrict or restrain our Second Amendment rights will be given the strictest scrutiny and I will fight to ensure that no new limitations are placed upon our Constitutional rights to bear arms.

I welcome renewed discussion on how to prevent these violent crimes. However, this discussion cannot solely be about guns. The problem is greater than guns alone and we need to focus on the cause of these events rather than the instrument used to carry out such terrible acts. Congress must include a complete reexamination of mental health as it relates to these mass shootings.

Additionally, society has changed. There are too many video games that celebrate mass killing of innocent people. These games find their way into children’s hands. Our society in general has become less civil.

As Congress looks to prevent future tragedies similar to Newtown, I will keep your thoughts in mind on proposed gun control legislation during the 113th Congress. I urge you to continue to raise questions and share your views with me. For democracy to function there has to be two way communication between Americans and their elected representatives. By contacting me, Iowans play a vital role in this process. I am glad to have the benefit of your views. Please keep in touch.

Sincerely,
Chuck

Right on. Can you think of any democrat senator that's ever served in Iowa or ran that you think would take a stance like this or had a response similar to this?

Right on. Can you think of any democrat senator that's ever served in Iowa or ran that you think would take a stance like this or had a response similar to this?

Perhaps Harold Hughes in his early Senate years. Oh, you mean in your life time? Probably not ya whippersnapper.

I always found it strange that he was a recovering alcoholic but revolutionized Iowa's liquor laws.

Edit:

I forgot to mention I saw him at the Whitetail Classic this year. I took a moment to thank him for his service.

Last edited:
As it turns out, I am going to meet Chuck at his Washington DC office next month. Are there any hot topics that I should talk to him about?

I only have 15 minutes and I will be in a group...so let's keep this short please. :D

Top Bottom