Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Chasing??

guitarzan

I had a landowner call me today and claim he's seeing bucks chasing does? I told him I thought that was a little early, anyone seeing anything like that?

Its possible, maybe some does were chasing eachother around and he mistook one for a buck. I see does chasing eachother playfully every now and then this time of year. A few years ago I saw a spike harrassing a doe at around this time of the year.

the bucks know time is getting closer, so they might occasionally get frisky and nose a few ladies around checking out this years options. Scrapes are starting to pop up too, i just think 9 months of abstaining gets on a bucks nerves.... heck, he's gotta try!

hahahaha

I don't know, but a guy from Nebraska on Bowsite said the same thing. Last night I watched a doe work an overhanging branch, then watched a 120ish buck work a branch and make a scrape, to later take out after a doe fawn, and disappear.
It will be interesting to see how the fall plays out.

I was told the the same thing by a few people i think that some of the young bucks feel some hormone changes and dont know what to do with them so they do what feels right and bug a few does hoping to scratch thier itch dont think the big boys feel the itch yet.

Like I stated in a post last Sunday,,,I was out late season scouting and had some small bucks chasing around some does in one of the timbers that I hunt.

I think they probably try every chance they get. If you had to wait 8+ months you'd try to. I doubt anything is to serious, but if she is willing to hold why not.

Dean

When the velvet comes off a ton of things CHANGE fast. Bachelor's groups break up and rubs start, etc.

I was at my farm SATURDAY and found 5 SCRAPES on my little hay field. Are the FULL BORE rutting and getting crazy over territory? NO. But, they have it in their heads through hormones/testosterone that things are changing and breeding is coming.

I witnessed three 1 1/2 year old bucks chasing a doe on Saturday morning while I was bowhunting an urban hunt. Even heard one grunt twice. They were just hoping to get a little action way early. lol

Buddy of mine from WI watched a 2-1/2 year top a doe on Sept. 13, their archery opener! Guess she didn't want to wait two months either.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

I had 2 mature bucks come to a couple turns of "the can" on Saturday and another smaller buck come to the can the weekend before. I'm not saying that they're chasing, but it got their attention.
Isn't the idea of some "tail" always in the back of your mind?

I think the younger ones are getting a little antsy cause they don't know better on the chasing part...the older bucks will not be chasing yet cause they know better. They will all be scraping and rubbing now though /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Young bucks might chase early. Some are quick learners and some are REALLY quick learners...

deer91.JPG

Pic taken on 7/17. Youth is such a confusing time. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
The big boys will wait until they either know they have a chance or their hormones force them to try anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowabowtech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Young bucks might chase early. Some are quick learners and some are REALLY quick learners...

deer91.JPG

Pic taken on 7/17. Youth is such a confusing time. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
The big boys will wait until they either know they have a chance or their hormones force them to try anyway.
</div></div>

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowabowtech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

deer91.JPG

</div></div>

His boyish good looks got him in. I guess he's into older women.

Top Bottom