Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cheapest/Easiest "plot screen"

skyleralan

PMA Member
I am finishing up a plot and want to put a plot screen that would literally only be like 75-80 yards long. The spot gets a lot of activity hence the reason I put in a plot, but is also only sits 100 yards or so off of a rural gravel road. I want to screen off those from the road from viewing the plot.

So, for looking for something easy I can plant that will grow quickly and be really tall.

Quickest and cheapest would be Egyptian wheat or corn rows if your not looking for permanent.you could do this for short term while also growing permanent slower growing solutions like Miscanthus, cedars, shrubs, willows, etc.

Last edited:
Guess I'm going to plead ignorance on EW...didn't know it was a member of the sorghum family until I just looked it up...no experience with it here, but guessing it is pretty similar to the forage sorghum I was thinking about.

G2 dream screen I planted it for the 1st time last year and loved it and deer feel safe when they come in to food plot. I have the same problem as you do I'm on a highly traveled dead end road and deer use to get spoked when they say a car coming down the road

G2 dream screen I planted it for the 1st time last year and loved it and deer feel safe when they come in to food plot. I have the same problem as you do I'm on a highly traveled dead end road and deer use to get spoked when they say a car coming down the road

What are you looking at cost wise? You can get EW for a really reasonable price for all the more I will need.

This is Egyptian wheat in northern WI in August.
20120811pmIMG_1816_zps47fc9e4d.jpg

I've had EW get to 12' high. 10' frequently. Atrazine, plenty of fertilizer (especially N), not seeding too heavy, great seed bed and you're golden. One thing I'd add.... Make it wider than you normally will think. Come December, it can thin out and you can see through it. August & sept it will look thick BUT, if you have the room, make it twice as wide as you'd normally think.

If you buy it on the internet now thru part of may there is 20% of but it is $35 but plants half acre. I'm sure the seed will last tell next season if stored properly. G2 has sum great food plot products.

I've had EW get to 12' high. 10' frequently. Atrazine, plenty of fertilizer (especially N), not seeding too heavy, great seed bed and you're golden. One thing I'd add.... Make it wider than you normally will think. Come December, it can thin out and you can see through it. August & sept it will look thick BUT, if you have the room, make it twice as wide as you'd normally think.

Agreed on width. From what I know, it should be similar to corn in that leaves will fall/break, as well as some stalks, since it will be brittle then. I have a little experience with forage sorghum, but it was chopped for silage so didn't get that late into the year with it. But, it was tall! Also, heavier seeding will result in shorter plants due to competition of each plant.

Any thoughts on seeding method? Planter/drill/broadcast?

Last edited:
Agreed on width. From what I know, it should be similar to corn in that leaves will fall/break, as well as some stalks, since it will be brittle then. I have a little experience with forage sorghum, but it was chopped for silage so didn't get that late into the year with it. But, it was tall! Also, heavier seeding will result in shorter plants due to competition of each plant.

Any thoughts on seeding method? Planter/drill/broadcast?

I have broadcast it myself 2 or 3 times and no matter how hard I tried to not overseed it, I still did. Drill baby drill!!

I know that is recommended, but broadcasting might be my only option in this spot!

Got it, I can only advise that you be as careful as you can then in not over seeding. If I were to broadcast again, knowing that I always seems to overdo it, I would put half of the seed in my bag and then try to cover my whole area. THEN, put the other 1/2 in the bag and repeat the process.

For me, if all of the seed is in the bag, I tend to run out when I am a little over 1/2 done. :D

Top Bottom