Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Check it out

IAdroptine

PMA Member
Hey guys,

Check out the latest issure of Deer & Deer Hunting magazine. They have a story on the best of the best wildlife artist/deer hunters of our day. The "Old" guy in the artical looks a little familiar to me, can't quite place him.

P.S. Old Buck, I enjoy your insight almost as much as you art, they picked some great subject matter.

IAdroptine

IAdroptine,
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't seen the article yet. My subscription must have run out. Drop me an email at [email protected]. I want to hear how your season has gone so far.
Old Buck

Old Buck,
I haven't had a chance to see the article yet in D & D Hunting, but your whitetail prints are as good as they get. Combined with your skills as a bowhunter, I can see why you were chosen.
Congrats and thanks for frequenting our board, your thorough knowledge of whitetails does not go unnoticed
wink.gif
smile.gif

Two Beards

IAdroptine,

Finally found a copy at HyVee in Ames. The guy does look strangely familiar.

Twobeards,

Thanks, you are very generous. I am incredibly fortunate in that I get to spend an amount of time outdoors most addicts only dream about. Though I tend to be a slow learner sometimes, I'm happy to pass along a few discoveries and observations.

To me, one of the fascinations of nature study (such as studying mature whitetail bucks) is that no matter how much you know there is always more to learn through observation and by talking to others. That is where the real fun comes in.

Was shopping yesterday and saw some prints for sale.Now I have looked long and hard for one that really looks real.You know ,the one that looks like something believable and as if the deer are ready to start moving.Of coarse a bowhunting site during the rut.I found one and the artist name is Larry Zach and it was done in "88" of a nice buck tending a scrape with other deer in the back ground.To me it is done with great taste and realism.There was no doubt that this is the one for me.I told my wife this one is going home with us.I have never bought a print before but,always wanted one or two but had to be the right one. My father was a artist so I feel I know a little about what to look for.So,I just wanted to say to Larry Z.,,I have fallen in love with this one and wanted to thank you for giving us deer and wildlife lovers something to stir are souls all year and lifetimes.Thanks

Old Buck, I just hung my copy of "Big Country Bucks" right next to "Fence Line Ringnecks". You have allowed me to extend my addiction to my home and office. You said once you enjoyed my post on this sight and I did not even think to ask witch post I just thought how insignificant it must have been compared to all that you do and have done to enlighten and enhance my experience here. As to the article in D & D hunting I think you deserve your own feature article, nothing against the other two guys.

deerman,

You are welcome. I really appreciate your comments. The painting you are referring to is "November Frost-Whitetail".

When I did the painting I figured I was taking a marketing gamble. I thought some serious bowhunters would understand and appreciate the painting but I was afraid that much of the general public would not. I actually did the painting largely for myself because I love bowhunting and studying big bucks so much and I wanted to create something to rekindle the emotion in the 'off season'. (I think this site does the same thing, by the way, and that is why it is so popular-keep up the great work Tony!)

Surprisingly even people who think the buck is eating the branch and don't know anything about whitetail behavior still loved the piece. In fact, the limited edition print has gone from an issue price of $80 to a secondary market price of $2-3,000! Shows you how good I am at predicting the popularity of a print.

ironwood,

My 'old timers' disease gets worse and worse and I can't remember which post I was referring to at the time.

I do know that one of the things you do that I think is great is the example you set for getting the next generation into hunting and the outdoors. Taking the kids out can be difficult in today's busy society but many of my fondest memories are of times when I've shared the outdoors with family and friends. I also think we owe it to the sport and to the resource to pass along the interest to the next generation.

Tonight I'm excited because my son is home from ISU and tomorrow we are going down to work on the farm and in the evening, get out the bows again and try to do some qdm (shoot old does). I love to hunt old bucks but there is also a lot of satisfaction in harvest smart old does. It also improves the sex ratio of the herd and I know a family with lots of kids that will appreciate the meat.

I appreciate your final comment. I don't know Jack Palu personally but I have known Mike Sieve for years. In fact we spent several weeks together in South Africa and Namibia bowhunting and shooting reference material (between 7,000 and 8,000 slides each). We had lots of time to talk and whitetail management was one of the topics. Mike has gone to a great deal of trouble to try to improve whitetail management in Minnesota. If he can accomplish his goals deer hunters will have another state in which to pursue big bucks. Those who want to help can get more info at www.blufflandwhitetails.org. They are on the right track and can certainly use the support. They get mine every year.

Larry,

I will do that as soon as I have some news, still at it. I will be back in the stand Saturday through Tuesday, hope my buck survived.

Will talk soon, ain't over till it's over.

Old Buck,

Your work is absolutely the best I have ever seen! I go to many deer shows every year and see many paintings from dozens of different artist. You are the best! Your the best at truely capturing a whitetails real image and no one pays as much attention to detail as you do. WOW!!! Little birds on a branch off in the distance, a little rabbit huddled against a tree. I could go on and on! I bet you put acouple of extra deer in each painting to see how long it takes someone to see them. Your work is truely amazing! You can be as humble as you want, but you really are the best I have ever seen. It is a great blessing to all of us hunters to have at the least "one of the best painters ever (in my opinion the best!) that loves to paint what we love to see, "the whitetail deer"! THANK YOU FROM ALL THE HUNTERS THAT HAVE EVER SEEN YOUR WORK!!!!

Top Bottom