Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Chicory

NWBuck

PMA Member
Put in a new plot this year that was seeded as a combination of chicory and 2 types of clover. Hot dry weather following seeding caused the clover to wilt before it even got a good start, but the chicory dominated and flourished. Deer have loved it, and are still working it. Here's my question...is this stuff coming back next spring? I have read a variety of conflicting comments on this. Some say yes, it's an annual. Others say only true south of St. Louis...roughly. Anyone have experience with this?

NWBuck

From central to south central Iowa I have experience with it as a perineal. North of central Iowa I don't know. Mine is getting hammered hard as well as others I have talked to. Remember you can always frost seed some clover into the chicory or chicory into existing alfalfa late this winter as a compliment for it's ability to fix nitrogen.

Thanks for the information...I was thinking the same thing. Frost seeding a clover blend this spring can't be a bad idea.

NWBuck

I forst seeded chicory into both alfalfa and clover last winter and it did fairly well. It doesn't seem to compete well with a robust legume stand or at least that's what I noticed.

If you have a drought then it is more likley to flourish when it can out compete the clover/alfalfa.

It should live for 2-3 years I believe but I haven't grown it that long to say for sure.

Remember you can frost seed clover but not alfalfa and chicory can be frost seeded alone, with or into existing clover/alfalfa stands.

I have links about chicory in my Alfalfa thread.

Mine did well at first but it was hard to find any this fall...perhaps because deer had eaten it to the ground?? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Thanks dbltree. At this time our plan is to frost seed a clover blend into the chicory stand and see what happens. I know we want to keep this particular blend of chicory for as long is it is good, cause the deer have really flocked to it. Maybe I'll take the digital down over the weekend and begin documenting what happens. Thanks again.

NWBuck

You should have a great stand for a roughly 3-5 years depending on care. I have a clover/chicory blend on a ridgetop planting that is rocky and is the first field to dry up in the droughty summer conditions here in west central Wisconsin. It's done incredibly well for myself and just finished up it's 3rd year of growth with no maintenace except for mowing, liming, and fertilizing. Next year you will want to keep tabs on it and make sure to mow as soon as you see signs of bolting, some varieties are more prone to bolt. Hopefully the deer will keep it mowed for you

Top Bottom