Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Chief: The Halloween Giant

bowman13

Sorry for the late post, but this last Thursday, Halloween at that, I got out of school and headed for work. Get there and my boss says its too wet to haul grain today. That was alright with me! So I quick gathered my stuff and got in a stand. I played the wind and got in as quietly as I could. I get settled in and was already enjoying the evening out. After half an hour in I did a light rattling sequence. At a quarter after 5pm I see a buck crest the hill; one glimpse at this buck and I knew who it was. It was a buck I called 'Chief'.
picture.php

He pinpointed exactly were the rattling had come from and was making a bee-line right for me. He makes it to 16 yards, slightly quartering-to and I let the arrow fly. I hit him directly in the middle. I had felt pretty calm but I just freaked out I guess. He takes off and runs 50 yards out into the corn and stops. I'm glassing him and see my arrow stick out the side of him, but from the angle I couldn't tell exactly how far back it was. He then walked off slowly tail down and head low to the ground. After some phone calls the management decision was made to get down, check the blood to confirm the paunch/gut hit, then back out for the night. Getting out in a stealthy manner was a complete nightmare, deer everywhere, and my nerves were shot. I finally get back to the truck and headed home. I knew he was dead, it was just a matter of not jumping him. My Dad and I got back out there at 7:45am to begin the track job. Found first blood and followed it across the field. It was not a carpet of blood, but it was consistent. We followed blood down into this little draw, still consistent blood. 75 yards down this draw, there he was, piled in a heap!!!
picture.php

picture.php

It was just meant to be. I was happy to have my Dad here with me when I found it. Just added to the adventure. :D
picture.php

picture.php

This was by far the largest deer I have ever seen let alone shot at. It took everything we had just to get it in the truck, even after field dressing.

He's all butchered and in the freezer now! He rough gross scored at an unbelievable 168" with just over 50 inches of mass! Still hasn't sunk in that this happened. My goal going into this season was to shoot a 115"-120". I drew the right card and now I get to sit on my hands for the rest of the season, which also means I get to sleep in. :grin:

Congrats, awesome buck! Now you can concentrate while hauling grain, instead of stressing over when you can get out again. Gonna be a long late harvest here.

Holy crap...unbelievable buck, but the best part is having family around to enjoy the moment with you. Congrats big time :way:

NWBuck

Congrats- I think taking out a "hit list " buck is such a great feat. Hours of prepping- scouting- hunting and finally sealing the deal! Great Job! Great buck and got to share the experience with your dad!

Top Bottom