Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Chiggers

BDAHMS

Be here Now
I am officially 4-4 this year on getting KILLED by them when I go to southern Iowa doing stand work or food plots. I spray with Deet and it seems others in my group don't get hit. I am COVERED in bites right now and pretty miserable!. So- what else can I do/use to stop getting bit?!?!?

In the past I've gotten them really bad too. The past couple years I've made the following changes and its helped a ton. Layers, I always wear under armor tights or spandex under my jeans/pants, even in the warmest temps. I even where long sleeves on top, cause I can just look at poison ivy and get that too. Along with that I spray all my clothes down with Repel with Permethrin, and my skin with Deep Woods Off Dry(legs and waste). This has worked best for me. Nothing worse then chiggers.

Avon Skin So Soft, smell like a French whore but they won't bite ya. I had over 200 bites on both legs one year picking wild berries, wanted to cut my legs off they itched so bad. After someone recommended this I never had any since.

Avon Skin So Soft, smell like a French whore but they won't bite ya. I had over 200 bites on both legs one year picking wild berries, wanted to cut my legs off they itched so bad. After someone recommended this I never had any since.

You are not the first person to tell me this about skin so soft- I think I should have listened to them prior to this year..........

Take a shower ASAP. Chiggars are pretty fragile and are easily washed off if you do it before they bite.

"Sawyer" Permethrin Clothing and Fabric Insect Repellent Trigger Spray.

I hear good stuff about this product and I happen to know that permethrin is top notch when it comes to killing insects.

Here it is.

"Sawyer" Permethrin Clothing and Fabric Insect Repellent Trigger Spray.

I hear good stuff about this product and I happen to know that permethrin is top notch when it comes to killing insects.

Here it is.

This is the right answer.
Those little bastards are bad this year.

Chiggers, ticks, poison ivy, etc...all are real downers and potentially expensive to deal with depending upon allergies, skin types, severity of exposure, etc.

Our approach for the last several years has been to always wear long pants(jeans) and either tuck the pant legs into the top of a mid calf rubber work boot or use duct tape and tape around your ankles to close off the lower pant leg "avenue".

We also apply Off, with deet, and/or Skin-So-Soft to our skin, in particular, our legs, hands/wrists and around the "belt area". We also use permetherin based sprays on our outer clothing, particularly our pant legs and boots.

If we take these steps without shortcutting them, then we have not had any problems with the "big three"(ticks, chiggers and PI.). And others have said, a good shower after being outside is also a good preventative measure.

PERMITHRIN. Haven't had a chigger or tick on me this whole year, not one. I mix my own from concentrate and put in spray bottle - pre-treating my socks & pants extremely well and hitting all other clothes as well. one bottle last you the whole year...

I picked up a bottle of permethrin at Farm King today. It has different ratios to mix it depending on where you are applying it and what type of pests you are dealing with. Just curious what ratio do you mix yours at?

I think they just like my Irish ginger blood. My friend who is Greek never gets bit but they bite the s**t out of me. I got some 98% deet bug spray from work this year and that worked great.

Chiggers love me too. Best I have found, Specially treated P-Spray shirt ,pants and socks,light colored. Rubber boots. Slather Avon mentioned oil all over ya. Some deep woods on the outside of your clothes just for added protection. That should do it. Still one of those devils might find an untreated spot, but very few bites anymore. I also limit my field work excursions to only an hour or two at most,,then it is quick to the shower. If you have bites,,the best way to neutralize the itch is to wash the bites with baking soda, then spray on Benadril spray, this will cleanse the skin and itch will leave faster. A lot to go thru but it works. I know some people that they leave alone completely. Lucky bumbs. In the days I lived in N-MI, could take off across a field and not have a caree. Never heard of a Chigger up north. Coarse they have their pests too!

I picked up a bottle of permethrin at Farm King today. It has different ratios to mix it depending on where you are applying it and what type of pests you are dealing with. Just curious what ratio do you mix yours at?

I mix mine "TOO HEAVY" :D It's very easy to mimic the bottles you buy pre-mixed, very simple math. I think some of them (this is going way back in my memory) were something like .5% Permethrin. I usually have double the rate of the pre-mixed & soak my socks & pants - then letting them dry. Not recommending this for others since that's likely not on the label but that's what I do. Of course if your concentrate were 30% Permethrin - pretty easy to get your ratios of water to dilute to the same as a pre-mixed. I have zero ticks or chiggers on me - ever. Deet, deep woods off, you name it - all did not work anything close to what permithrin did in my years of using it.

Top Bottom