Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cleaning old fletch & glue

BugleMIn

I got a Arizona EZ Fletch for carbon, early Xmas gift. Now I can refletch a bunch of arrows with cut vanes. What is the best way to remove the old fletch and glue?

I didn't want to scrape it with a razor, didn't know if that would/could damage the arrow.

Acetone? Any secrets?

I know if I use acetone I have to use fletchtite glue since acetone reduces superglue's strength.

Will be trying the 4" quikspin fletching, may also try the Bohning Blazer and do some experimenting.

Thanks

I use a dull knife. Works just fine. Then acetone, wipe off residue and let air dry. Good luck fletching. Take your time and you'll be fletching yours, your buddies and everybody elses.

I agree with Rudd. I keep a slightly-dull pocket knife in my archery tackle box and use it only from scaping off feathers, vanes, and glue from my carbon arrows. If you hold the blade at the right angle, it will remove the stuff you want without gouging the arrow surface. Although they make special tools for this task, the knife has worked well for me and saved me from having to buy a $25 tool.

Somebody on here mentioned using a potato peeler and that works great, unless your wife catches you. A razor blade will probably gouge your arrow. After the potato peeler treatment I use acetone also.

Thanks guys.

I don't plan on re-fletching all my arrows but just experimenting and can also use the EZ Fletch for repairs.

The potato peeler worked the best. The reason for the question was due to the difficulty I was having with some of my arrows that have a camo pattern on them. The glue sticks to that camo wrap really good and it is textured somewhat, but the wrap scrapes off with the vane.

Regular black arrows are a piece of cake, they scrape clean real easy.

Thanks again

Top Bottom