Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Clearing Multiflora Rose to Frost Seed Clover

QDM

I'm looking to quickly get in a kill plot of clover by frost seeding in the next couple weeks. The area is thick with multiflora rose and I'm planning to cut the brush down to the bare dirt. Since I didn't get to kill this stuff last year (just purchased last November) am I wasting my time/money by doing this now?

Thanks for any help!

Not really. Is it covered in leaves & stuff? The MFR is easy to deal with - one of a million ways... Mow it and treat stumps with some tordon. Lot of other ways depending on situation, size, amount, etc. U just want it as clear as possible (like I said, lot of ways on that too). Frost seed and keep it mowed, etc. If there's lots of other vegetation there now, I might wait to tear it up later (which has downsides with weed seed, etc) but a lot of options and a lot will depend on ur unique situation.

Its really just the MFR that was growing really tall. Now that I've started cutting some of it back there's a lot of bare dirt exposed so I assume the rest of the area will be the same...as it seems to have choked out any other vegetation. Hopefully I can get a good start by seeding the clover heavy and then keep the MFR regrowth cut back throughout the growing season.

Is there enough "duff" to run a fire through it now, prior to frost seeding? MFR hates fire and while you may not kill it all completely, you would likely set it back pretty well and then frost seed and then deal with MFR regrowth by spot spraying and/or mowing.

Not sure I have enough time to coordinate a burn so hopefully I can clear it up enough without a fire to frost seed. Then I'll address the regrowth at a later date. Thanks for the input fellas!

I did it last yr with pretty good results. I cut down the trees and left 2 or 3 small ones for rubs and scrapes. Seeded it and mowed the MFR on top of the seed. I sprayed with cleth mid summer.

Top Bottom