Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

"CLICKING" sound???

Split_G3
i have had a number of guys ask me recently if i ever heard a buck make a "clicking" sound? well this being the first i have heard of this "clicking" sound, i asked them if there was a wease shortly after, i was thinking that maybe it was the same but somewhat different form of the snort-wease. all of them told me no, that after the bucks were rattled up, and then became suspicious they would stand at about 60-70 yards out and make this "clicking" sound, some would do it after being spooked, run about 60-70 yards and stand and make a "clicking" noise while trying to figure out what had bumped them. i have had probably 20 different people ask me if i knew what this sound was and meant, they said if anyone would know i would be the one to ask, but i am stumped!!! big time!!

it's obvious to me now that it is not associated with the snort-wease because all of them who asked said that the buck only did it when he was bumped or became suspicious! it's sounds like something that i am going to have to be in a situation and have a buck "click" at me, to figure out what it means, a kinda hands-on thing!!

anyone heard or know what this "clicking" sound means? would love to know for future reference! thanks

Pete

I've heard the clicking bucks do also. I hear it the most when I have the decoy up but not every time. It seems to be with aggressive behavior heading toward or around the decoy.

AGS

If I can remember correctly I believe the True Talker grunt call came with a video that showed a buck doing that.And that sound can also be made on that call as well.From what I remember the sound was from a dominant buck who makes this as he watches over a doe he's about to breed.This really don't make sense with what you stated,but that's as much as I know about it.Wish I still had that tape,but believe I pitched it or gave it to someone?

I believe it's on the old Primetime 3 video were they show footage of a pen raised buck clicking after he breeds a doe. Also called "popping" its a grunt broken down into single burst. It done before and after breeding with an excited buck.

Yes,I think the sound is associated with breeding.Could the clicking sound possibly be coming from the bucks lighter?As he desperately tries to light his cigarette in the wind,after a breeding session.
grin.gif

I am wondering if the sound you are hearing is what some old timers call the Cackle Grunt? It does sound a lot like a clicking noise.

The Cackle grunt is a call a deer makes when they are excited during the rut. It is much shorter and faster than the regular 2-3 grunt call series that most hunters use to try to call in a buck.

I usually hear this sound when a buck is moving, or chasing a doe.

I have heard it when a buck is spooked out of a bedding area and he stands anxiously to wait for a doe that he was with to bust out so he can follow her.

Just a thought?

I always thought it was the "tsk tsk" sound. You know, " tsk tsk, and you think you're going to harvest me with a set up like that?"
smirk.gif

Top Bottom