Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

clicking

ibowbigbucks

I read a artical in the sept- october issue of petersons Bowhunting about clicking, a sound a mature Whitail makes during Rut to let the doe know hes the mature Buck and to alert other bucks in the area. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this or tried it, now that i see they make a call for it, and any results you may have had.a statment in the artical said the sound lets the doe know he will not rush her into the breeding cycle , rather he is the mature buck that would tend to her more during the rut and would not rush her into breeding. any thoughts, this is the first ive heard of it, the sound - sounds like a person running their fingernail over a fine tooth comb.

I have only heard two different bucks ever do it in 17 years of hunting them. Both were mature. I have never tried to replicate the sound at all.

Sounds like a writer that was desperate for someting to write about and he talked an editor into publishing it. I have heard the clicking noise but the rest of that sure sounds like a long stretch of conjecture. It'll be intersteting to see what the Drury boys think of it! Get ready for a new call and marketing blitz.

Sounds like mature bucks have mastered the art of deception in picking up the ladies, "sure I wont rush you into breeding rather I will care for you". Sounds like a bad Rico Suave pick up line

Will be interesting to see how it plays out

I have heard it before and it was pretty cool. I was hunting basically right on the edge of a very secluded bedding area and a mature buck came in and spot a doe with some smaller bucks when he let the "click" go. Not real certain what he meant, but the Dr Phil explanation above is hilarious!

Clicking has been around for quite a while, in fact i have a Knight and Hale call designed for this very vocalization. It is very easy to replicate on a quality call. i implement this into every calling/rattling sequence. This is usually what you hear when a buck is chasing a doe pretty hard. It is like a hyperventilating inhale/exhale type grunt.... every step/breath he is grunting. very short in rhythm and often sounds like "clicking".

Personally, I hear this noise most often during the peak chasing and breeding phases, rarely outside of that time frame.....

I dunno, I like it and use it often!

$-
That is not the sound I am referring to. Maybe I am talking about a different vocalization, but the one that I have heard (very rarely) sounds more like a super, super slow grunt where the grunt is broken down into loud individual "clicks". No chasing was involved in the encounter I witnessed and it took place on 10-27

Could be? I've never purchased a commercial deer call, so what I am referring to as clicking might be different from what the industry is calling it.

well I read the exact article you are talking about in petersons bowhunting mag. But I have never heard that sound before. I also know there is something called an intense pop. Its a single note grunt just a loud pop. It can be done with most grunt tubes. Never heard either sound tho.

$-
That is not the sound I am referring to. Maybe I am talking about a different vocalization, but the one that I have heard (very rarely) sounds more like a super, super slow grunt where the grunt is broken down into loud individual "clicks". No chasing was involved in the encounter I witnessed and it took place on 10-27

yep talking about two different things, but I gottcha!
:drink1:

I have no idea what you guys are talking about but you got me thinkin about the noise the aliens make in the movie, signs.

Its definitely an interesting topic. Most guys in here have different ideas of what exactly the vocalization is. I was with THA4 on the chasing grunt idea, super easy to immitate with a grunt tube.

The super slow grunt clicking like DOR is explaining - not sure I have ever heard that noise before.... I have always called younger bucks grunts - clicking. Sounds like they are popping their tongues on the roof of their mouths.

The loud short popping noise puts the idea of the buckroar in my head. Heard it only once before and they were two 3 yr olds fighting.

sticks, im glad you read it , some of my bow hunting friends thought i was nuts when i was explaining what the sound repersented and why he was doing it., all new to me but when i went to bass pro and seen the call made by knight-hale, i had to by one, any advantage is good used in the right situation.has anyone used the new pack rack call during the rut?, seem easier than bringing my old sheds to the stand and alot less baggage on the way to my stand.

hoofline.gif

We had a lenghty discussion on this deer vocalization 3-4 years ago here on IW. I wish I could fine the post.

Tending Click: is a clicking sound bucks may make when looking for or following estrus does. It sounds like someone slowly running a fingernail across the teeth of a comb. It appears to be a slow, drawn-out version of the Tending Grunt.

hoofline.gif

Last edited:
sticks, im glad you read it , some of my bow hunting friends thought i was nuts when i was explaining what the sound repersented and why he was doing it., all new to me but when i went to bass pro and seen the call made by knight-hale, i had to by one, any advantage is good used in the right situation.has anyone used the new pack rack call during the rut?, seem easier than bringing my old sheds to the stand and alot less baggage on the way to my stand.

I think the pack rack just came out this year, so i don't think any one has been able to use it during the rut, unless they got thier hands on a testing one.
I know i'll be picking up a pack rack to try for this fall :grin:

I can't find a clicker call made by knight and hale.........does any one have a link to it?

"Tending Click: is a clicking sound bucks may make when looking for or following estrus does. It sounds like someone slowly running a fingernail across the teeth of a comb. It appears to be a slow, drawn-out version of the Tending Grunt."

Thats more of what I have witnessed. Its sounds like something coming from the dominant animal. Its very deep and probably very intimidating for the scrapper bucks to hear if I were to guess.

Top Bottom