Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Climber VS Hang on

flugge

I know there are pros and cons with a Climber or Hang on... But the temptation to have a true mobile hang and hunt option came up this year..Other than finding a straight tree, give me any pros or cons you guys see, also what do you use? Plotting to buy something for next year as I tagged out on an 11 pt Thursday (hence the reason this question is asked now) Thanks for any insights

I️ have the summit viper and it is a great climber, super light and comfy.
That said I️ wish I️ would have gotten a mobile hang on set. There have been lots of instances where I️ can not get a stand up because the trees branch out too much or they are too big in diameter. It really limits your options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would go sticks and hang on all day just for the versatility. Not to many trees or areas that I cannot get in with my Lone Wolf.

Based on the problems I have been reading with the XOP quality I would personally stick with the LW or the muddy setups.

If I could only have one it would be sticks and stand. It is nice to have a climber to grab when you KNOW there's a tree that works where you want to be. I will also say that I have used my LW climber in trees others wouldn't and most guys wouldn't try.

I like my climber a lot, but I have also wasted a lot of time and got pissed off when I would try and be spontaneous and hut a spot that I hadn't scouted out for good "climber" trees. Sticks and hang on are more hassle, but a lot more flexible . . . .

No use for a climber anymore. EXTREMLY limited in the trees you can get in.

Light hang on (I have alpha) and EZY steps. light. silent. fast. deadly.

When I got my climber there wasn' the quality and easy hang and hunt set ups available. I would trade my climber for the new set ups for sure. My climber is super comfortable and easy to sit all day in but usually requires tons of trimming on private land and limits to sitting pretty low on public unless you find the perfect tree with no branches.

I am of the same opinion as big buck hunter. But i feel super safe and comfortable in my climber. Lucky for me, there are tons of trees where I hunt that allow for a climber set up.

I've never tried a climber but have tried my brothers stand and sticks (xop).

I like it and hate it. It's nice to have in a pinch but it's a pain in the ***.
First off it's heavy. Sucks lugging that thing in with all your other gear. By the time you get to where you are going you will be sweating your balls off so be prepared for that. Hanging it is simple but is still a task when you are covered with sweat. Leads to cussing under your breath and second guessing that a deer will even come within 500 yards of you once you are done. Once you get it hung and climb in you get to spend the rest of the hunt wondering about the branches you didn't get trimmed and wether you should climb down and trim them or just hope the deer walk in the few mediocre lanes that you do have. I would never attempt to do it in the dark unless the tree I was hunting was already prepped in the daylight. So that pretty much limits its use to afternoon hunts for me. They are expensive. By the time you figure the cost you could by 5 decent hang ons and the screw in steps for less money. To me it doesn't get much better than walking into a spot knowing all prep work is done and all I have to do is climb in the stand and hunt. That being said there are times when it's nice to have around, I just wouldn't rely on it as my only method of tree stand hunting.

My main hunting I would do with this is public land, all of my private lands already have hang ons set well in advance of season. So the essence of trimming lanes is non existent on public land

I've got both a lone wolf and a muddy hang on. I personally like the lone wolf better. IMO its easier and faster to hang. I've got the lone wolf steps as well. Wish they had steps on both sides is my only complaint on those.

Question on hang ons.....do you have to climb down to grab another section of sticks to attach them? Pull and hang your stand and then climb back down to grab your gear?

Agree with Bowtech84....sweaty mess getting there, and locker room BO after you climb. I mighta been doing something wrong, who knows. I climbed it once and then it sat on my basement shelf for ten years and I finally gave it away.

It all depends on the situation and the trees available. IMO it's good to have both options available. I use my summit climber about 99% of the time because it is so much easier to do hang and hunts with, which is what I usually do since I just hunt public ground and I also have plenty of straight trees available in the areas I hunt, but there are some areas that I have to use a hang on stand because there are no trees available for my climber. If the areas you hunt would be good for both types of stands and you would pack the stand in and out every time you hunt then I would go with the climber just because I hate fooling with those dang steps.

Hang on hands down. If using ezy rod steps was allowed everywhere I would still go that route. Fastest way to hang a stand period. If I could choose one stand and one set of sticks it would be the Hawk Helium and a set of 5 of the original muddy pro sticks. Love my XOP but the single strap, knee on the seat pull up the platform lockdown of these is solid as a rock

Depends what the trees are like. I hunt a public piece near home sometimes that is in a river bottom and is basically a cottonwood forest. My summit viper is awesome for it. Super light weight, carries in easy on your back and after using it a couple times is a breeze to get up and down. It is also incredibly comfortable. I have taken two bucks and a doe out of it, only thing is is that the front rail can get in the way of bow if draw and have to shoot at a deer close, I learned the hard way on that a few years ago, had a mice 8 come in ulmost under me and when I released the cam spun and bumped the rail of the stand and through my shot off.

Long story short, get what will work best for the trees in the area you plan to hunt.

Depends what the trees are like. I hunt a public piece near home sometimes that is in a river bottom and is basically a cottonwood forest. My summit viper is awesome for it. Super light weight, carries in easy on your back and after using it a couple times is a breeze to get up and down. It is also incredibly comfortable. I have taken two bucks and a doe out of it, only thing is is that the front rail can get in the way of bow if draw and have to shoot at a deer close, I learned the hard way on that a few years ago, had a mice 8 come in ulmost under me and when I released the cam spun and bumped the rail of the stand and through my shot off.

Long story short, get what will work best for the trees in the area you plan to hunt.

I use a Summit Cobra for bow hunting because it has an open front and you can shoot sitting down if needed which is what I prefer. This stand is really just the Viper without the front rail. Very nice, light, and comfortable. But like stated before, it all depends on what type of trees are available to climb. A lot of people think you have to have a straight tree to climb, but I will climb a leaning tree in a heartbeat and adjust the stand as needed while climbing or once in position.

Top Bottom