Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Climbers

nginth

Well I just got back from a weekend up in the Minnesota area, I made a brief visit to Cabelas in Owatonna. I was looking at buying a climbing treestand and wanted to get a few opinions on which models to consider. I want something light that I can carry in for long distances on public ground. The salesman reccomended a lonewolf which of course is the most expensive one there. For a little more I could just get a tree lounge. Your insight is greatly appreciated.

I am not an expert as I have only owned one. I love my API grand slam. Which is why I have only owned one. I have never felt unsafe and have never slipped on a tree, and when you put the cinch strap on it is solid on the tree. It also doesn't make noise, though it does a little when packing it in the woods. I have been told a rubber snubber around it will stop it. (I have to get on that) I have 3 friends with API's and all are happy. I have one friend with an grand ole man and he is also happy with that, though I don't know much about it. I think the poundage on the ole man is around 400lbs. Which can be a selling point. Hope it helps, it sure is nice to walk into the woods find a tree climb up and hunt. Get done, climb down and not worry about leaving 200 bucks hanging in a tree for someone.
Frank

I also have an API Grandslam that I would never be without. It can be a little noisy carrying if you don't do a little common sense stuff before you head to the woods, otherwise it works great. When I first got it I thought I would be able to shoot sitting down, but soon found out that standing up "for me" was the only way that I'm comfortable. And by the way there are usually plenty of good trees in Iowa that will work with a climber, but I do always carry a small handsaw just in case. Good luck!

nginth,

One of my best friends over in Nebraska swears by his Lonewolf tree stand. He and I have hunted out of portable stands for over 20 years. He really likes the step system they use. He says he can be in a new tree easily in less than 5 minutes.

Here is there website,LoneWolf,they say there stands are very quiet as well and that's important with portables.

Good Hunting!

TLH

I to use an API grand slam for the last two years and think it is the best climber for the money on the market.As far as the noise coming in ,I have had several deer come to the noise right after I set up.One being a 180+ class buck that came by broadside at 12 yrds.Bad thing was my bow was still on the ground!I have always felt safe in this stand and all API stands come with a full harness saftey belt which is nice!

I have an API and I love it. The only complaint I have is that it is hard to set it up in the dark because you have to hit the hole in the chain with the pin. A friend of mine bought a Summit stand and he has been very pleased with it. I don't know if I would like bowhunting in a tree lounger. You sure are out a long way from the tree when you stand up.

Top Bottom