Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Climbing stand

jc64241

I have been looking at buying a climbing treestand. Should I? Is it worth the money? I am a big guy?

That depends from your style of hunting and the types of trees that are in your area. I would say for me I probably hunt 9 trees that are more suitable for hang ons for every 1 tree I find that will work with a climber. You don't want to get caught in the, well I can sit here with my climber but down there is where the deer are but no trees type of deal.

I do have a climber and love it when I know I have a good tree to hunt with it. I use my lonewolf alpha hang on and sticks 10 times as much though.

That depends from your style of hunting and the types of trees that are in your area. I would say for me I probably hunt 9 trees that are more suitable for hang ons for every 1 tree I find that will work with a climber. You don't want to get caught in the, well I can sit here with my climber but down there is where the deer are but no trees type of deal.

I do have a climber and love it when I know I have a good tree to hunt with it. I use my lonewolf alpha hang on and sticks 10 times as much though.
I'll second what Liv said.

I don't think there is a weight issue with the LW but how much are we really talking here? I doubt climbers have that much of an advantage on cargo capacity, but I don't know. I had a climber 20 years ago and hated it because of the tree limitations.

I have a nice climber, but I very rarely use it for the reasons already given...it is hard to get the "right" tree where you need it to be. I would suggest going with some lightweight climbing sticks and a stand for "hang and hunt" time.

I must confess that in an effort to make the climber "work" I used it on trees that were frankly unsafe and nowadays I just will not risk my life/safety for a deer.

I have an api bowhunter and I love it. Coming from Ohio where I hunt large tracks of timber, you cant beat it. Most comfortable stand as well!

I used to use my all the time. I hunt different timber now and the trees have branches or thorns. I liked the versatility of it. I would pick a trail i wanted to hunt and no matter the wind I could hunt it. I could pick a tree downwind of the trail everytime.

I did have a scary experience where the bottom section dropped on me, thank god I had a rope tied between the seat and the bottom so it didn't go all the way to the ground. I would have been hanging 12 feet up hugging the seat section.

And getting that extra height in the tree is easy too, just climb higher. Whereas now I am limiting myself to the 15-16 foot ladders I use with for my hang on stands.

I have several Summit climbers that i used in the past. I thought they were great but now i have realized its just as easy to but a "hang and hunt" set up. Climbers really limit your areas to hunt and a set of sticks and lonewolf can be placed anywhere! Good luck!

i debated on this very same topic several years ago and am sure glad i listened to a couple buddies and went with a lone wolf hang-on over a climber. it's fast and easy to hang and can go in just about any tree in the woods.

I know its been said, but I agree wholeheartedly. A hang on with sticks is the easiest way to go. Both Muddy and LW are awesome for this approach, and you'll be able to get into so many more trees this way.

:way:

I use my Ol' Man 90% of the time. The area that I hunt has numerous trees that are straight and are accessable using a climber. The reason I like it better that fixed stands is that I can hunt the same area no matter what the wind direction. It allows me to be very versitile.

For what it's worth, I recall seeing a commercial for a "portable" ladder stand. It collapsed down and was carried around backpack style. Kind of the best of both worlds, portability and it doesn't limit you. I wish I could remember who made it but I'm sure that with enough googling you should be able to find it.

Personally I don't really like climbers, I'm usually sweating like a pig by the time I get up the tree.

API climber

i have been using an API stand up sit down climber for 10 yrs and have used the same tree for almost all the time i've had it. i don't move around and use montana decoys does during the rut. have gotten my buck's each year out of the same tree. location is important and the decoy's bring the bucks in from a long way out.:D and by the way i'am 63, 230lb with a bad knee and old back injury the API will handle a large person i think up to 300lb. and the stand up sit down is very easy to use.

Last edited:
Top Bottom