Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Clover plot help

cda77

I'm going to be planting a 1/2 acre clover plot this spring. My plan is to plant a mix of ladino, alice, and berseem. First question is does this sound like a decent mix? Second question is how many pounds of each should i plant for a 1/2 acre plot. I'll be broadcasting and rolling it in. Also would it be any benefit to mix in some oats as well? Thanks for any info

oats will be a benefit. The deer will eat them as well as they grow, but also the oats will help keep the weeds at bay. Bushel an acre.

jlarson007 said:
oats will be a benefit. The deer will eat them as well as they grow, but also the oats will help keep the weeds at bay. Bushel an acre.

Can you broadcast oats and drag them in? Or do you have to use a drill?

Can you broadcast oats and drag them in? Or do you have to use a drill?

Ideally you wanna get your oats a little deeper. Could disk area, lightly disk after broadcasting oats, then cultipack, broadcast clover, cultipack. Or drill em all in if you have a drill.

I'm going to be planting a 1/2 acre clover plot this spring. My plan is to plant a mix of ladino, alice, and berseem. First question is does this sound like a decent mix? Second question is how many pounds of each should i plant for a 1/2 acre plot. I'll be broadcasting and rolling it in. Also would it be any benefit to mix in some oats as well? Thanks for any info

I would definitely add oats for a cover crop when starting clover. I personally wouldn't bother with the berseem as its an annual, the ladino and alice will do great by themselves. 6-10#s per acre is what is recommended for white clover. You should probably consider adding white clover inoculate to it when planting it so that it will produce nitrogen.

Top Bottom