Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Clover plot resurrection

BJohnson

I have a clover plot on one my hunting locations that I put in during the fall of 2010. I was engulfed in a project this past summer building a tower blind for the landowner and really did not mow the clover plot as suggested and it was littered with weeds by summer's end. By the time I thought about it, I really did not have access to a decent device to mow the taller height of the vegetation. This fall I saw a decent amount of clover in the plot and can still see clover in most areas of the plot. My questions are these:

1) with this mild stretch of weather, I have been thinking about taking my garden tractor out and trimming the weeds down to a rather short length. I can bag this and remove all trimmings from the plot rather easily. Anyone see any benefits to doing this now ?? Should I pull some of this stuff out rather than mow it ??

2) would the efforts of trimming as stated above help with a frost seeding of this plot to help resurrect the clover plot for 2012 ?? I have a thatching rake I could run across the plot also. Anyone see any benefits to this in an attempt to loosen the soil or gain better access for the clover seeding to the soil surface or would thatching at this time do more harm than anything else to the existing clover ??

As is the case in numerous things, I usually learn best from my mistakes and this plot is no different. :thrwrck:

Insights and input would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I would probably frost seed heavy (8#/acre) in March and then mow followed by spray with Volunteer this summer. May do more harm than good by tearing up the the ground now as warm as it is.

The few weeds probably didnt hurt much, other than the aesthetics of it and should be easy to treat after a solid frost seed.

I would probably frost seed heavy (8#/acre) in March and then mow followed by spray with Volunteer this summer. May do more harm than good by tearing up the the ground now as warm as it is.

The few weeds probably didnt hurt much, other than the aesthetics of it and should be easy to treat after a solid frost seed.

BJohnson - I have been in your shoes before with clover plots and I think what Huntyak described above should work fine, I have done almost exactly, except that I used Select, that a few times now with good success.

Top Bottom