Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Clover plot update

bjkpharmd

This was taken last Saturday. Frost seeded a mix of ladino, jumbo ladino, and a very light sprinkle of red clover last March into the rye and oat plot. I left this plot alone and it has only been mowed once this year to knock down the rye. There is a little grass and some foxtail but overall it took very little upkeep. I never really thought about it before but it has always taken less mowing to keep grass and weeds down when seeding into a field of wheat or rye. Otherwise it seems like I mow 3-4 times a year. Deer are keeping it mowed now.
2006_09240015.jpg

Pharmer, thats sure is a beautiful frost seeding! Sure is easy enough to do (other then a little excercise broadcasting the seed
grin.gif
)

Great example of a very easy way to seed clover. The rye gave you feed last fall and some ground cover/mulch on into spring and this fall...well it looks like you ought to be able to fill the freezer right out of that spot!
waytogo.gif

Looks great! I just spoke with the land owner were I hunt, he said his 4 new cows got out and they have been feeding in my food plots and he can't catch them. He does not know what to do he just paid 3,000 for them and they are young. As soon as they see him they run into the woods. I say shoot them and take the loss, they are eating my food plots!
smile.gif
You guys have any ideas?

That stinks, do they make D-Con for cows?
grin.gif
I have heard of this happening to at least two other people over the past few years. If there are cows nearby you may really need to, ahem, "beef" up your fencing.
grin.gif

I came upon a partially blind stray calf on my place the other day...finally got him back "home"...but driving a calf that can't see is interesting..
smirk.gif

Good reason to keep fences in good repair in cattle country.

[ QUOTE ]
You guys have any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

Gather all your huntin buddies and do a "drive" throught the woods and try to corral them that way.

The 'Bonker

Top Bottom