Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Clover Plots;

loneranger

I have approx 5 acres in clover, two in one spot 3 in another. I had a guy frost seed the clover in about 3 yrs ago in spring after he had rounded-up the weeds the previous fall. The weeds are really filling in now. I am 130 mi from the land so can't be down there all the time. If I treat the weeds with round - up the areas in the spring and have it tilled up in some way plowed or disked, then replant with cover or clover rye mixture would this be good idea? Have not looked into how much someone might charge to till it up. Cheaper alternative to treat weeds with selective weed killers and frost seed again. I read the costs sight, and saw tilling would run from 5 to 16$ an acre. Thank You for any tips.

If you got 3 years out of a clover plot without much mowing or spray up to now you have done pretty well. You may be just as far ahead to start completely over. You probably won't find anyone to come in and do "spot" tillage for anything like the rates posted.

I agree with Pharmer, 3 years out of a clover plot with minimal maintenance is pretty good. Also, you've lost the window to RU the weeds & frost seed for this year since the weeds are now dormant and you'd be ready to frost seed in late Feb/March timeframe...so you'd have to stretch another year out of your plots & RU next fall or hire the tillage & planting done in the spring. For 5 acres, I don't there would be a substantial difference in cost to till & plant versus RU & frost seed. Personally, given the "opportunity cost" of not having a decent food plot for fall 2006, I'd go with hiring the tillage & planting done - recognizing that for small plots like this the rate charts don't necessarily apply. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

I would think it might be closer to $30 to $50 per acre to fit the ground depending on how far they have to come to work the ground. It's also important to have something to make a firm seedbed like a cultipacker or even a lawn roller. Someone that has a cattle/hay operation might be a possible to work and plant it for you. Some landscape/lawn care outfits have tractor/rear tine tillers for small acreage but they charge by the hour.

Top Bottom