Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Clover questions.

I'm in central Missouri. Big rains today, then the temp is going to start dropping with day time highs in the mid 30's and lows below freezing. Looks like it might stay that way for a while. I was planning on frost seeding this weekend. After the rain, but right as the temp starts dropping a bit. Would this be a good time?

Thanks.

Steve

IMO, this is the time to do it, yes. As you indicated already, I would wait until after heavy rains have passed so you don't lose seed to washing away, etc.

I also will be spinning some clover this weekend in a couple of spots. And I will also be using up some leftover switchgrass seed I have in a couple of other spots, now is the time for frost seeding.

Do you know if the coated clover seeds need innoculant? Both the varieties I have are coated... Durana and Coated Alice White from Welters.

Do you know if the coated clover seeds need innoculant? Both the varieties I have are coated... Durana and Coated Alice White from Welters.

That I am not sure about, right or wrong, the only time I ever messed with innoculant on clover seed was one time when Dbltree himself was at my farm helping me and he mixed in some that he had. While it may well be a better choice to use it, I do know that it isn't a requirement, as I have frost seeded clover many times successfully without it.

I would give Welter's a call and ask them.

Great idea. Thanks, don't know why I didn't think of that.

Welter's said that the Alice White Clover that I purchased from them is "pre-innoculated".

Ur good to go then. Even without innoculant u will b ok. Innoculant is especially beneficial if u r going to rotate to brassicas later as it will help produce more nitrogen.

Top Bottom