Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company
Re: Clover - Using Select Herbicide

Hit a plot with SELECT that needed it like I earlier discussed. I'll work on getting pictures. Checked back yesterday and all the grass is turning yellow, clover & alf-alfa look good! It's actually a nasty thick stand of premium food now!!!

QUESTION- one the plots I didn't have time to lime and fertilize this spring, crappy soil. I have a soil test result SO I know what to add and it does need both lime and fertilizer. When would you apply this? I am looking for a combination of allowing the fertilizer to make the plot better for this fall, NOT hurt the plants by burning them AND finally, getting the plants some nutrition that's needed (they look ok BUT look really dark green instead of the highly fertilized NEON GREEN I like to see). Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it does need both lime and fertilizer. When would you apply this? </div></div>

I'm not aware of a reason that you couldn't go ahead and apply it anytime now, although it would be nice to have a good rain right afterwords just to wash every off the foliage.

I can't recall ever applying lime to growing plants, always have done it in the winter or to tilled soil but I can't say I have ever heard of it hurting anything.

Nitrogen fertlizer can burn foliage a little but you won't be needing that so I think I'd go a head and apply whatever it neads.

Now I have a question....how long ago did you apply the Select?

Just wondering the time frame from application to seeing "dead stuff"? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Applied SELECT about 10 days ago. Now, the label said to spray SELECT BEFORE mowing, then mow 1-2 weeks later. What I did was mow, then spray 6 oz's to acre with crop oil of course a day later. I was crunched for time AND I only had an acre to spray SO I figured if it didn't work so well I could re-do it. I won't need to. The only caution I had for damaging plants was to not spray alf-alfa with SELECT when it was super tall so I made sure I didn't.

Bottom line, worked EXCELLENT, I am very impressed! My grass will be completely fried by this weekend as it's pretty yellow as of yesterday. The only thing I was impressed with was how much my gallon of SELECT costed me /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I think I should have gone with a pint instead of a gallon (for an acre). Oh well, I'll have enough SELECT until the year 2042. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I mean NOT IMPRESSED, I either got ripped or that stuff is crazy expensive! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Select runs from a price of 131 to 182 dollars a gallon, just depending on which chemical company you go through.

Ok, I had to spray my clover plot with something. The whiteweed and grass where waist deep, and my atv mower is not operational and Im not sure when it will be.

A buddy and I both needed to spray about 1.75acres total between our two plots. We thought, well we can pay $30 a pint for arrest and be done with it. Well with in a 60min drive in any direction there was 1pint. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

I had to go and buy a 2.5gal jug of Poast. Poast is 18% active ingrediant and the arrest was 13%. I paid $11 a pint for Poast and they wanted $32 for arrest. I sprayed sunday evening, just got back from checking my plot. Grass is hurting compared to other grass that wasnt sprayed. But if you didnt have anything to compare it to you wouldnt know. I didnt have any crop oil. I sprayed 1pint per 10gal. It took me about 15 gal to do my "almost acre" plot. I sprayed double around the edges where the grass is the heaviest. The grass is 3ft or better tall, I knew it would do alot better if I mowed it but thats not really an option yet.

What I am most impressed with is the whiteweed is starting to die(I think). When I sprayed the plants where perfectly healthy. Now tonight almost every plant I saw that I know got sprayed has atleast the bottom 4 leaves turning yellow. I didnt know Poast would kill whiteweed but it seems to be working on it /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I dont know if whiteweed is the correct name for it, but its nothing but a stem with a little white flower on top and little single leaves off of the stems alternating sides.

Dean

Yeah, I got mine on the higher end of that on the way to my land when I stopped.
I will mention, out of all my plots I have Alice white, Ladino, a bit of red, some grazing alf-alfa AND some Alsike for wet bottom ground. The plot I am the MOST IMPRESSED with is the Alice White, it's on crappy ground, looks AMAZING (dbltree earlier mentioned success on poor ground with Alice), it's filled with deer, has no weeds because it's so aggressive with competition and LASTLY- from dbltree's link it has one of the best winter-hardy ratings, better than Ladino. Many other benefits as well. I love stuff to stay green as long as possible and I have had excellent luck in another Alice plot through Muzzleloading season. Deer were feeding on it in January with standing corn right next to it!

BOTTOM LINE- I strongly suggest throwing some Alice White into the mix of your plot plans!!!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sligh1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, I got mine on the higher end of that on the way to my land when I stopped.
I will mention, out of all my plots I have Alice white, Ladino, a bit of red, some grazing alf-alfa AND some Alsike for wet bottom ground. The plot I am the MOST IMPRESSED with is the Alice White, it's on crappy ground, looks AMAZING (dbltree earlier mentioned success on poor ground with Alice), it's filled with deer, has no weeds because it's so aggressive with competition and LASTLY- from dbltree's link it has one of the best winter-hardy ratings, better than Ladino. Many other benefits as well. I love stuff to stay green as long as possible and I have had excellent luck in another Alice plot through Muzzleloading season. Deer were feeding on it in January with standing corn right next to it!

BOTTOM LINE- I strongly suggest throwing some Alice White into the mix of your plot plans!!!!!!!! </div></div>

Thanks for the feed back Skip! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I wanted to share this pic which shows second cutting alfalfa in the back, a small plot of Alice White Clover and then some Mammouth Red Clover in the foreground.

2cloversnalfalfa.jpg

The ground is about as poor as you can get, hard pan, red clay subsoil. Water hit's the "ground runnin'" and niether of the clover plots have had lime or fertilizer (the alfalfa has)

You can see how dark green the Alice is in the center plot...it's amazing stuff and the deer hammer it daily.

Having said all that...we're always looking for something as good or better which is why I have planted Durana and all the commercial mixes.

If any of you have pics of your clover regardless of where the seed came from, please share it with us in this thread.

Alice is only one very dependable white clover but there are others as well.

The test plots I planted last year were also on very poor soil and Alice, Kopu 2 and Durana were the only survivors which surprised me and dissapointed me.

If you have good fertile soil with plenty of moisture they will all do well but if it's on the "not so good" side, give Alice a try. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I have a 1 acre plot, it's the only one of mine I didn't get soil samples. I will after this season. BUT, for the mean time, I am "sure" it needs some fertilizer. I just want it to be healthy and fertilize it before deer season, maybe mid august or something.
I am going to try and find some "P&K" or something like 6-24-24. I looked at Menards tonight and found nothing. I might check A&K seed by my land and see if they have it.

QUESTION, do you think 200 lbs of it per acre would be resonable on a guess? When would you recommend spreading? If you have any suggestions on where to find it now OR at the best price, please let me know. I have some other plots that I do have soil samples for that need it as well.

*I took lots of pictures of my different plots if you'd like to see them /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Re: Clover - Summer fertilizer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> do you think 200 lbs of it per acre would be resonable on a guess </div></div>

That's a good figure to start with Skip, if possible try to spread ahead of a rain and maybe right after clipping it.

Golden Furrow would be a place to check for fertilizer in our area but I have no idea if the have it in bags or just bulk (let us know if you call them)

Agency, Fairfield, Eldon, Keo...would all be within reach but give em a call first and see what they have. They can mix anything but small amounts might be easier in bags. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Here's some pics of a couple plots, all started and planted this spring, one plot had a bit of grass problems you'll see in pics, not as bad as I had thought. Never posted pics before so I'll try this here...
FoodPlot4.JPG

FoodPlot1.JPG

FoodPlot2.JPG

FoodPlot3.JPG

Those clover plots look awesome Skip!!

You'll have to beat em back with a stick this fall! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Found some fertilizer today for a plot I need some P&K for, Golden Furrow had 6-26-26 for $20 for 50 lbs bags. Now, much of it's Alice clover that doesn't look like it needs a darn thing, and we are talking I planted it on the worst ground you could imagine- no lime and no fertilizer ever and it's rough pasture ground but looking astounding. I guess i'll still give er a hit of 200 lbs of goodness.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Golden Furrow had 6-26-26 for $20 for 50 lbs bags. </div></div>
Dang...practically giving it away! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Alice white clover can survive on a little so if you feed it...get ready to mow again...and again! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Re: Clover - Results of Select Grass Herbicde

I'm going to be posting results of Select grass herbicide on alfalfa, clover, soybeans, field peas, brassicas and even my wife's flowers...so get used to it! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

This is Alice White Clover before spraying with Select

Grassinclover-2.jpg

and this is 2 weeks later

Grassfreealiceclover.jpg

I'm impressed! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I would add that there is NO evidence of dead grass or anything at this point. The clover and alfalfa just fill in and look like it was always "perfect"!

Ok...so ya'll know I love my wife...and so I said "honey...I'll pull the grass in your flowers...so you just relax and sip some lemonade" /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Now keep in mind that if this would have backfired...you'd find out just how much my wife loved ME!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Whew! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

SelectonFlowers2.jpg

Nothing to do with clover of course but much easier to see the dead grass in this pics.

Dang..I still gotta pull the broadleaf weeds though... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

SelectonFlowers.jpg

Sprayed Select on the maters, pumpkins, peppers, cukes and melons too!

Selectonmaters.jpg

Heck I'm a dagum "weedin" machine and the worlds best hubby! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Anyway...you can see I have confidence that this post selective grass herbicde is pretty safe to spray on most any broadleaf type plants. That being said I'd like to try it on and maybe over some trees to test it also.

On Clover 6-8 ounces along with 1% crop oil will do the trick. I used my 2 1/2 gallon Solo backpack sprayer which will do roughly an acre and mixed 10 ounces and it worked like a charm!

Now...if I could just figure out how to get out of vacuuming... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Re: Clover - Summer Seeding

Previously I posted results of using Select grass herbicide and I still get a kick out looking over areas that I sprayed compared to unsprayed.

New spring seedings can easily turn into a sea of foxtail even when using oats for a nurse crop.

Seaoffoxtail-2.jpg

You can see in this pic where I sprayed a strip after spraying the entire back portion of this field. Since then I have sprayed the rest of it but it does show pretty dramtic results.

Strips-1.jpg

My clover and oats are full of deer beds

Bedsintheclover.jpg

The oats have dried down now and looking back through my posts, one can see how planting oats to early this time of year will leave them to mature for a fall attractant.

OatsnClover-1.jpg

This spot was devoid of oats for some reason and it's interesting how the deer have grazed it hard to avoid the oat stems poking them in the eyes!

Nooats.jpg

Closeup of the Alice/Kopu2/Jumbo Ladino clover mix from Welter Seed.

AlicenKopu27-24.jpg

WelterClovermix-2.jpg

I clipped a couple strips through some of it earlier and you can see without spraying the foxtail comes up right away, the foxtail however won't be a problem next year.

Clippedclover-1.jpg

They are really feeding heavily on the tender new clover this time of year.

Grazedclover.jpg

This is some mostly straight Berseem Clover (annual clover) This clover is awesome if you need some quick inexpensive clover or cover crop to plant in the spring.

Thickstuff-2.jpg

This is a great time of year to seed white/ladino clover with or without oats using roughly 4#'s per acre of white clover seed.

This establishment advice from Welter's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Establishment

White Clover can be used in new seedlings or to overseed existing pastures. White clovers should be seeded with a brillion seeder, no-till drill or cultipacker. White Clover can be planted in the spring or the fall. If planted in the fall, allow at least 8 weeks before the killing frost. Frost seeding also works well, especially if the animals are allowed to hoof it into the existing pasture.

Seed to soil contact is vital to having a successful stand. It should be planted at the recommended rate of up to 30% with grasses-(it is advised not to exceed the 30% of a forage mix to prevent the possibility of bloat).

White clovers grow best on well-drained, fertile, loamy or clay soils of pH 6-7 that are well supplied with minerals and moisture.

*** My own tip is to till, roll/pack the soil, broadcast seed, roll to cover.***

Management

White clover does well on most soil types, however pH of the soil is rather important. The pH should be at least 6.0. Adequate levels of calcium, phosphorus and potash are also very important. If a ruminant eats too much white clover, there is a chance of bloat. In order to prevent bloat, a maximum of 40% white clover in a pasture should be respected. If the animals are fed other non-bloating forages (e.g. hay, corn, cornsilage) besides the clover, the risk of bloating significantly decreases. Most accidents occur with the following herds: heifers, dry cows or sheep that don't get other forages besides grass and white clover.

*** Deer have plenty of other forage so bloat problems aren't likely as they would be with livestock ***

It is important to keep your pasture grazed or clipped during maximum grass growth. By reducing grass growth, you reduce the shade that the white clover will receive. Maintain a pasture height of 3-9".

Graze or cut pastures short in the fall to allow vigorous regrowth of clover, thus favoring rooting of stolons.

</div></div>

White clover offers some many options as far as establishment no matter if one has a garden size plot of several acres and I have never seen a deer pass thru some whit clover without stopping to taste this tender legume. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

If I tilled and rolled this past Sunday and had a large amount of rain on Sunday night and today, would it be OK to spread clover tomorrow and roll it to plant even though we tilled/rolled 3 days ago. I would think that seed/soil contact would be good after preparing the soil days ago and with the heavy rain. Would alfalfa work the same way?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huntyak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I tilled and rolled this past Sunday and had a large amount of rain on Sunday night and today, would it be OK to spread clover tomorrow and roll it to plant even though we tilled/rolled 3 days ago. I would think that seed/soil contact would be good after preparing the soil days ago and with the heavy rain. Would alfalfa work the same way? </div></div>

I can't say I have ever tried it but if the topsoil dries out you could broadcast and re-roll more seed in. You only need to just press clover or alfalfa seed into the soil.

Just don't try if the soil is still wet or you will turn into a compacted piece of "cement"... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Top Bottom