Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company
Im not worried about hurting the clover, I wanna get ahead of the weeds and grass, or should I wait to make sure I get all the weeds and grass.

I would wait a few more weeks before spraying clethodim on clover.. not because of the clover but to allow the grass to break completely out of dormancy :way:

I'm going to plant a 30' strip of alice white around my plot.(Clover will be 2 acres worth.) Should I plant something in with it, or plant on it's own? Rest of plot to be berseem/oats till july.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
I'm going to plant a 30' strip of alice white around my plot.(Clover will be 2 acres worth.) Should I plant something in with it, or plant on it's own? Rest of plot to be berseem/oats till july.

I would seed it with oats and berseem for a nurse crop

Per acre I'm sure. Actually found it in the cover crop forum. Thanks again Paul. Just did not no if adding berseem and oats would change seeding rate for alice.

Per acre I'm sure. Actually found it in the cover crop forum. Thanks again Paul. Just did not no if adding berseem and oats would change seeding rate for alice.

Yes...all rates I list are always on a per acre basis...you can lower the rate of berseem or crimson but NOT the white clover :way:

March 29th, 2012

I wasn't able to stop and take a pic of it, but while cking TSI with my forester we drove by a patch that the landowner had frost seeded to clover...only "frost" or freezing/thawing conditions have been non-existent since he did so. No matter...the clover is coming up thicker then hair on a dogs back...heavy rains and warm weather will do the trick.

White clover is coming on great here and providing a high protein, easily digestible food source for winter weary deer

Clover2-3.jpg

This is red clover the landowner frost seeded into soybean stubble the year before

Redclover1.jpg

It did so well he left it a second year and deer are feeding heavily on it

RedClover2.jpg

In all of these cases however these are the only crops growing in these areas....good but not great, and a combination of food sources would have kept them coming into the feeding area all winter long. A small amount of clover will feed a tremendous number of deer so consider dividing plots and planting a combination of food sources such as these...

Plant ALL in one plot in strips or blocks

Alice (or comparable) white clover 10% of plot, in odd areas, corners or simply divide the plot with clover strips. If no soil test add 200-400#'s of 6-28-28 and 400-500#'s of pel lime at planting in the fall with winter rye(see below)

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#
GroundHog Forage radish 5#

Plant in mid to late July in most Midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost. Follow the dead brassicas with oats and berseem or crimson clover in mid spring.

Cereal Grain combo in 45% of plot

Winter rye 50-80#'s per acre (56#'s = a bushel)
Spring oats 80-120#'s per acre (32#'s = a bushel)
Austrian Winter Peas or 4010/6040 Forage peas 20-80#'s per acre
Red Clover 8-12#'s per acre or white clover at 6#'s per acre
Groundhog Forage Radish 5#'s per acre

Plant in late August to early September

Rotate the brassicas and rye combo each year

All of my berseem, white combo and oats are beginning to come up in my plots. Can I spray with clethodim and not hurt them? Or, should I have done that the day I planted? Thanks for the help again!

I am around the Fort Dodge area. Planning on planting Oats and Berseem. Can I plant now or is it better to wait for a later date? Thanks!

All of my berseem, white combo and oats are beginning to come up in my plots. Can I spray with clethodim and not hurt them? Or, should I have done that the day I planted? Thanks for the help again!
I'm guessing most will say you should wait to spray until the oats are ready to be mowed. Clethodim will kill the oats which were planted with the clover to outcompete the weeds. The oats will also help establish the clover by taking some of the browse pressure.

It seems alot of places dont stock berseem clover can u plant red clover in the spring instead of berseem? when should we start seeding oats and clover with current temps?

I got mine from www.welterseed.com. They carry everything that Paul suggests for food plot seed along with other seeds to improve deer habitat. If you and your buddies or neighbors are planning on putting in plots combine your orders and save some money by buying in bulk.

When using Oats for a nurse crop w/clover is there any one preferred over another. There seems to be a lot of choices.

Hey Rackhunter - it seems nobody wants to answer our question on when to plant oats and clover!!! lol!!!

Reno... Go back to page 65, #647. Paul did say the Berseem clover is not cold tolerant, so you should wait untill after your average last frost date, around May 1st.

DZJ81 said:
When using Oats for a nurse crop w/clover is there any one preferred over another. There seems to be a lot of choices.

If you're talking oats I'd go with the cheapest ones available.

I planted oats and berseem yesterday. Last nights rain were a god send. Berseem cannot take frost, but I took the chance that we are home free. Welters has berseem, but to cut down on shipping I found some local. Lawn and turf dealer in ankeny.(2.25 lb)

Top Bottom