Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company
Re: Clover / seed selection and planting

Wow Ghost that is one heck of a stand of clover you have there...beautiful plot!

Has anyone ever tried a early spring Glypho application to their established clover plot to clean up unwanted grass and weed growth? Ed Spinnazola has an article on doing this at the QDMA site, but i'm a little apprehensive about it.

He recommends applying 1 quart/acre of glyphosate and ammonium sulfate sometime between from the beginning of May thru mid May....or when the grass/weeds have reached 4-6" tall. The light application will set back everything but the well established clover root system will bounce back, giving you a clean clover plot. I have one plot that i may just attempt to do this on this spring and I was hoping to get a little reassurance that the clover will indeed bounce back.

I don't have any expereince with this, but my first thought would be to use a selective grass killer and then mow the weeds. I don't think I could get a steady enough application rate with my sprayer and I'd end up killing anything green.

I suppose the advantage would be one pass, but don't ya still need to keep the clover clipped?

The 'Bonker

Yes, Ed Spinnazola says you will hate him the first week after application and love him the rest of the growing season.

I personally have never tried this.

You would certainly want your application rate to be perfect.

I'm on year #3 with my clover and so far mowing has been working for me for weed and grass control.

I also feel that a very thick stand of clover will reduce the amount of weed and grass competition.

The plots I have looked at that had grass problems were very thin stands of clover.

on my clover plots (2 years old) i have stuck with mowing and spraying with select grass killer. last year i ferterlized in spring and early sept during the rainy season. the clover got extremly thick and choked out most of the grass. still have some thin spots that need attention this spring. but to make a long story short, two feedings, two mowings and two sprayings (grass killer) worked extremly well last year.

Re: Clover - frost seeding time

It is getting that time of year to think about frost seeding clover and chicory. While February and March are considered the optimum times to frost seed clover, a little check of the weather forecast can better help you determine the perfect timing.

Clover seed is not like switchgrass seed in that it's not meant to be left out all winter exposed to the elements. All we want is to let Mother Nature "plant" our seed by means of a few weeks of freezing/thawing action. It doesn't need to be stratified like prairie grass and wildflowers.

This year we are getting colder then normal temps and plenty of snow here in mid February so I wouldn't feel "rushed" to start frost seeding clover. We want to wait for days that are slightly above freezing and nights below freezing. Perfect weather is when the soil is slightly "muddy" under foot during mid to late day but frozen to walk on in the early morning.

Having said all that...a good frosty morning with the soil frozen is a perfect time to broadcast clover and chicory seed. I prefer bare ground or a light dusting of snow. Snow isn't a big problem unless the ground is hilly in which case a quick melt can "carry" seed and move it around for uneven coverage. Some like the advantage of seeing where they have seeded when planting on a thin layer of snow.

I like to cut my seeding rate in half and then walk both ways to ensure I don't miss anything entirely or end up running out of seed before I cover the field at least once. Better to go over some of it a third time then run out!

When planting into a prepared seedbed in perfect planting conditions where seed is planted into a cultipacked (or firmed) seedbed then about 4#'s per acre is enough but frost seeding isn't as exact and conditions are far from perfect so 6-8#'s is reccomended and some plant at even heavier rates then that.

Planting costs are pretty minimal when using "hoof work" so a few extra pounds of seed might be worth it.

Lime can be put on any time from last fall thru spring and fertilzer could also be put on anytime the ground is frozen otherwise wait until it's dry so you don't tear up your new seeding.

It's always helpful to broadcast on to a surface with little residue, preferably something that was grazed, mowed, sprayed or in a crop such as soybeans last fall. We want seed to make soil/seed contact and that's tough if it lands in a pile of grass.

If the area is in some type of sod then clipping it as soon as possible in the spring will open it up for the clover seedlings and mowing and spraying with a herbicide such as Select will kill grasses. Check the label for timing of spraying when your dealing with a new seeding.

Check back thru this thread for pics and more info on frost seeding both clover and chicory and ask questions if you need more advice on frost seeding. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I want to frost seed over what i planted last fall. The clover was only 2in tall when the snow came. How much per acre over already seeded ground?

I'm going to be frost seeding clover in March on some pasture ground, but there is some weed growth on it already. What is a good herbicide for leafy plants such as clover that I should use so I don't kill the seed?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to frost seed over what i planted last fall. The clover was only 2in tall when the snow came. How much per acre over already seeded ground?
</div></div>

Normal spring/tilled seeding ratesare 2-4#'s of clover seed per acre, frost seeding rates are often higher...perhaps up to 8# per acre.

In your case somewhere between those numbers will suffice i'm sure. Your just putting on a little "insurance" and if you leave a portion "as is" you may be surprised on how thick it will come up this next year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SEIowaDeerslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to be frost seeding clover in March on some pasture ground, but there is some weed growth on it already. What is a good herbicide for leafy plants such as clover that I should use so I don't kill the seed? </div></div>

You can use 2-4DB to kill broadleaf weeds in clover (NOT 2-4D) however any herbicides would be applied after weeds and clover are growing, so it's not going to affect the seed no matter what.

Check the herbicide thread and read the label for 2-4DB for correct application timing in young clover. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

This time of year when we're shed hunting, we tend to look for food sources adjacent to bedding areas and travel routes to food sources.

Clover for the most part is not one of those food sources. The pics were taken a few weeks back.

There is nothing left of the clover that was so lush and green last fall.

Clover2.jpg

In my case they are scratching around in the clover and then heading for the alfalfa for something to eat.

Clover1.jpg

That doesn't mean you shouldn't plant clover, it means you should divide your plots and plant several different types that will provide feed year around.

Even a small plot can be split...plant clover in 1/2 or a third, a rye, wheat, oats combo and perhaps a portion in brassicas.

Rye and wheat are sure to be a draw even right now in late winter, but clover will be the place to kill that strutting tom in April and provide high quality high protein forage when does are lactating and bucks are are developing antlers.

Diversity...(the opposite of "all your eggs in one basket... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif )

It's the first week of March...perfect timing for frost seeding..in between snow/ice storms... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Frost seeding doesn't look good for me. My clover/chicory plot that I plan on frost seeding was still waist deep on Sunday. And the few acres of hel that I am looking on putting switch on doesn't look much better. I'm just trying to find a window where I can clean up the mess from the first ice storm we had, I have tree limbs down all over in my killed sod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My clover/chicory plot that I plan on frost seeding was still waist deep on Sunday. </div></div>

You still have plenty of time, hopefully we'll get that warmup this weekend and your snow levels will go down. It's bare ground here and perfect for frost seeding.

Remember, clover only needs a few days of freezing/thawing to make soil/seed contact. Switchgrass needs a little longer to help it stratify as well.

It's early yet...so have faith! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Daytime temps are pretty warm this week but we still have some freezing nights ahead of us so don't wait to get your clover frost seeding done.

I purchased Alta-Swede Mammoth Red Clover for green manure/nitrogen production purposes and frost seeded it yesterday.

S5000817.jpg

Already pre-inoculated...

S5000818.jpg

Remember to take a long a "scoop"...

S5000819.jpg

I like these old "oil buckets", after being cleaned out the lid makes a safe dry storage/transportation container.

S5000821.jpg

Set your hand seeder on the lowest setting!

S5000822.jpg

In this case I was seeding about 10# per acre of red clover for plowdown purposes and seeding it into last falls oat or rye plots.

Hmmm..why is there cow tracks thru my food plot?? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

S5000823.jpg

Anything that leaves the soil exposed makes it better for frost seeding...notice the tiny clover seed?

S5000825.jpg

Last years Alice White clover is just trying to "wake up"!

S5000827.jpg

This has absoultely nothing to do with clover...but everything to do with living in the country, and working on my tractor on a warm spring day in March!!

Whoowooo!! It's been a long winter and the sunshine feels great! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

S5000839.jpg

I frost seeded yesterday in a couple wooded plots and wondered how much impact the leaf litter will have. Is it going to reduve seed germination a lot? Sure was nice to get out even if none of it grows!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huntdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I frost seeded yesterday in a couple wooded plots and wondered how much impact the leaf litter will have. Is it going to reduve seed germination a lot? Sure was nice to get out even if none of it grows! </div></div>

The seed does need to make soil contact but rains should "wash" the seed onto the soil, it just may be a little uneven perhaps.

I have the same problem with some of mine planted next to the timber.

I frost seeded Mammoth red clover (for green manure only...red clover IMO is not that great for deer feed...get's too rank and difficult to maintain compared to white clovers)into strips that I had rye and oats in them last fall.

The deer have literally eaten the rye to the soil leaving it perfect for frost seeding!

Frostseed1.jpg

The shallow tilled strips in one of my tree plantings give me a little more "space" for food plots. I will till the red clover under in late summer and replant rye n oats.

Previousryeplot.jpg

I went back over some of the clover plots I seeded last summer and frost seeded some seed I had left over back into them.

I posted earlier the various seed mixes, the Biologic and Imperial mixes failed completely. They were right next to the Welter, Durana and Tecomate mixes so I'm not sure what happened? At any rate I re-seeded those areas so we'll see if they take this time.

The Welter Mix contained Alice, Kopu 2, Jumbo Ladino and a grazing type alfaafa and seem to be doing well...but notice the leaf cover... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Note: you cannot frost seed alfalfa...

AliceKopu2mix.jpg

This is Durana tying to peek thru and it seemed to do as well as the Welter mix, so I seeded it where the Imperial didn't take.
I like this seed because you get just what you pay for...pure Durana white clover seed...nothing less...nothing more.

DuranaClover-1.jpg

The Tecomate mix seemed to do well so I seeded it where the Biologic mix didn't take. It was left over so no biggie but be aware that this mix (like Imperial) contains Berseem clover which cannot be frost seeded. 10% of the mix is wasted if you frost seed. It also contains Mammoth red clover which I have already mentioned. Back page to see all the different mixes and what they actually contain so you know what your paying for.

MonsterMix.jpg

There are many options for seeding clover,

Frost seeding in March

Spring seeding in April or early May

Summer seeding in July thru August

We have discussed these options and the pros and cons of each, all can work if done properly and we get good moisture when the seedlings need it most.

Summer seedings are my favorite because you won't have to fight spring rains and mud nor will you have to fight weeds that come up in spring seedings.

Summer seeded clover (or alfalfa)can be clear seeded (clover alone), or with a nurse crop. A nurse crop is more important in spring seedings to help smother weeds, but a summer seeding the "nurse crop" is more to provide a fall food plot while your clover is still young and too small to provide a fall food source.

Timing can vary for a summer plot, a late July seeding might be clear seeded. A mid August seeding could use oats while a late August seeding could use rye.

Late August may not be enough time for clover seedlings to become established before fall freezes. Growing time varies widely just in our state of Iowa let alone across the midwest but I have seeded all the way to Sept 6th with good success.

This example was posted earlier in this thread and was planted around Labor Day but in SE Kansas (if I'm not mistaken)

You can see that it worked perfectly!

Posted by Strmchzr:

"i've had better success planting clover in the fall compared to spring plantings in s.e. kansas. my spring clover plantings usually fall victim to grass competition early ~ i don't use herbicide which might really make a difference helping the clover get established.

imo, the best tip for planting clover is to plant winter rye as a nurse crop. winter rye (not rye grass) has alleopathic effects when planted w/ clover. basically, this means the rye provides natural "weed control" while the clover has a chance to establish. i let the rye grow thru the spring (turkeys love it) instead of mowing. by mid july, the rye is dead and there's a very clean stand of clover.

early april winter rye/ladino clover plot
aprilgreenery3wi.jpg

june winter rye/ladino clover plot
ltrye36gq.jpg

july plot
juneclover34of.jpg
"

This is a clover seedling I planted in late August with oats.

Clovernoats.jpg

The clover/oats combo worked well to establish a seeding and have a little fall forage as well. The deer literally ate the oats to the ground before it even had a chance to freeze!

Oct7cloverseedlings.jpg

I clear seeded this clover on Sept 6th 2006:

Newcloverseeding.jpg

It looked like this in early Dec. and took off great this past year. That timing would have been perfect to have added rye but the seeding could also have failed if colder then normal temps had set in early.

NewseedinginDec.jpg

All of these planting dates worked well and looked like this a year later:

OneyearAliceClover.jpg

Here in SE Iowa average frost dates are mid October and some years even later so one could use oats knowing they will freeze off or rye that will provide winter long feed. Planting the last week of August could work for any combo of clover, oats and/or rye in southern Iowa at least.

Late summer seedings mean you won't have this problem for sure... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

WeedCrop.jpg

I just frost seeded my clover plots on some old pasture ground on Friday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that those little buggers find their way into the dirt!

the snow is finally off the food plots up here and i got to attempt frost seeding on our clover plots for the first time. ladino, white and a little alsike (no durana or kura available at the local seed dealers, but i'm working on it). also, nobody had any innoculant (working on that to) so i had to settle for grow coat, hope it works. the good news is that i see deer every time i go to work on the food plots... if it's greening up, they are eating it.. waiting for some warmer weather in upper michigan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nobody had any innoculant </div></div>

If you can't locate inoculate in your area, call Welter's Seed, they have it for most all types of legumes.

Welter's also carries Kura clover but remember that Kura is a little difficult to establish so read up on it before investing in some Kura seed.

Seedland is one source for Durana white clover. I really like this clover but I can't say yet if it is really better then any other clovers, only that it seems pretty drought resistant /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Re: Clover - seedlings up!

The red clover I frost seeded in March is up already (April 9th) /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

RedCloverseedlings.jpg

Just little "specks" but it is up and growing! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

S5000894.jpg

I did notice that darker (fertile) soil had quicker germination then lighter (in color)soils...makes sense since the darker soil would warm up faster.

Some pure Alice White Clover planted a year ago...looks good enough to eat!

Alice cost me less then $20 an acre and deer devour it!!

AprilAliceWhiteClover.jpg

and just for comparison...alfalfa on April 9th

AprilAlfalfa.jpg

Whatever varieties or types of clover you plant, please share how they are doing because...inquiring minds want to know... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Re: Clover/ Durana

How? and how long can you store clover seed?
Or should you only buy what you need when you need it?

from a place selling it....

Product Code: CLOV-DURANA-25

Regular Price: $159.50
Shipping Weight: 25.00 pounds

25 LB - Durana Clover / Coated Seed
Durana is one of the new varieties released / produced by Pennington Seed that has both yield increases and provides longer lived more persistant stands. Expect this clover to live several years longer than other older types in similar climatic conditions.

Re: Clover/ Durana

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How? and how long can you store clover seed?
Or should you only buy what you need when you need it? </div></div>

It's always best to use fresh seed but I have stored it for a year. Germination will generally begin to drop as it gets older.

I would buy what you intend to use this year if at all possible, but I have used three old Alice clover seed and it germinated just fine.

Durana appears to be a great clover but it was developed and bred in the southern states, so we need to test it in our area awhile before assuming it is better then other clovers.

If you plant it please let us know how it does for you. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Top Bottom