Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Clover?

antlerfreak

Im getting ready to plant my first food plots, When I started the project I had to do alot of clearing and mowing, and even had to make a new lane through the timber to get to where I was making plots, while planning on some tree stand setups along the lane. now that everything is cleared and disked I was looking at the lane and figured why not disk it while im at it and plant it with something. My question is 90% of the lane has a canopy above it. No sunlight. Will clover still grow there? any certain type of clover? Ive heard of honey hole clover mix that is suppose to grow in the timber in all shaded areas but wonder if any clover will grow.

Thanks.

I use Imperial Colver from the whitetail institute and Antler Kings Mini Max both work very well in shaded areas. Our food plots are right in the timbers. I think clover can grow about anywhere. We have timber soil, clay, wet areas, shaded areas and it grows very well. Thats why we plant these areas in clover because anything else is half a stand or nothing.
Good Luck

It depends on the amount of shade and the PH but rarely have I seen clovers do very well in 90% shade. You don't need to plant an expensive "brand" clover and especially don't bother until your certain they will even grow there.

I prefer Alice white clover but ther3 are many good white clover varieties including VNS (Variety Not Stated) clovers at your local co-op.

More information in the clover thread: All about clover

Good luck and let us know how it works out if you give it a try? ;)

Top Bottom