Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Clover

I'd try & frost seed it. & heavier than recommended rate IMO. If not- could seed it in the next month. Earlier the better to catch spring rains and clover is a cool season legume so it will thrive early. Plant heavy when done in spring, good to add some Berseem clover and some oats too. Good luck.

I would not hesitate to seed it now, while we are 98% past the traditional freeze/thaw cycle, if you get some clover on top of this snow and then it melts off nicely in the next couple of days you should be golden. The big IF though is that you need to be covering bare dirt or killed, short sod for it to work well at this time. OR sprucing up an existing clover stand will be OK too.

If you are trying to convert a pasture or standing CRP or something like that, then forget what I just said.

I seeded some just last week and will finish off one little area this coming weekend too.

Sounds like I will be planting this weekend. It is an old turnip plot so we will see what happens.

sent from super hunters I phone

I was curious, I frost seeded and was able to cultipack it in. Was this a good thing to do? Or a big no-no or should I have let it just sit?

I was curious, I frost seeded and was able to cultipack it in. Was this a good thing to do? Or a big no-no or should I have let it just sit?

IMO, if you were on mostly bare dirt, I don't think you hurt or helped anything in this situation. If you were on some sort of sod, hopefully killed last fall and mowed short, then I could see where it would help some and not hurt anything.

bare sod plots fall tilled

Sod to me would indicate some grass cover, so I think if you fall tilled you would have bare dirt. (We may be having a semantics issue here. ;))

So if you broadcast over bare dirt that you tilled last fall then I don't see how you would have hurt anything, you may not have helped much, but I sure don't think you created any problems.

By the sounds of things though, I would be prepared for a battle with weeds this spring/early summer. Personally, I avoid tilling any ground that I will plant clover in, even if it was last fall. (Exception - I will plant clover along with rye late in the summer/early fall on tilled soil, but then the clover is "protected" from "weed mania" the next spring by the "nurse crop" of rye. Mow the rye in early/mid spring and let the clover come on.)

Top Bottom