Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cold-rut?

Despite the wind today has been good. I have seen 7 bucks and counting. Deer have been on their feet all day. Those that say temp doesn't effect deer movement are out of their mind.

I would agree that this cold should get them moving. Thoughts on morning vs. mid day vs. afternoon? I know, hunt when you can, preferably all day, but if you had to choose.

My first post. Lot of non-shooter bucks bumping does in out of the wind places today. Cold snap is definitely helping deer movement.

I can tell they were moving today a lot just driving my 25 miles to work in the morning and back home. Deer always move more in the cold.

Sat morn and eve near and around my little rape clover and radish plots. No deer? Seems to be this way in my area since I bought the place. After first week of Nov activity, last week I saw 4 two year olds a yearling and a doe heard some gruntin over the hill. Definately rut was on. Then second week most all is over. Like deer have dispersed. Real cold usually doesnt come until Dec. when that comes I have yet to ever see a buck just watching evenings. Couple does stay that is all. So I think this cold speeds up the migration away from me this year. if I had some standing corn or something like that some might stay?

They are going to move a lot is what I expect. Some of my best hunts is when it was in the teens in the morning during the rut.

Agreed. But I drove some this evening and did not see much movement. Not what I expected anyway.

Didn't see anything tonight either. All my movement was shooting light until 1pm and they were moving very good during that time.

I didn't get out this AM like I wanted. Headed out at about 11, bumped 12 does just in the timber bedded right off a hay strip and chiseled corn field. I thought most of the does on the property had left, since I have not seen many. Decided to back out and hunt the blind I have in the same field. Saw a decent buck, just in the timber. All 12+ does came back out 5 min after shooting time. I spooked them off the field getting out of the blind. I am going to give it a day or two to settle down and be back in there.

I got out this afternoon and set on a alfalfa field and picked bean field and just saw 3 does and 2 little bucks. They didn't stick around long either. Think the wind gust had the on edge. Hoping in the morning goes better.

I'm headed out in the AM. First sit in the timber- been field edges or food plots up to this point

Supposed to be SW by Friday. Supposed to be is amusing for a wind forecast 3 days away

Top Bottom