Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Coming back home for late muzzy

bones_c

Hey guys. It's been about 5 years since I have been deer hunting in Iowa. I graduated high school and left for the army right after. I only ever shot gunned second season. I got a muzzle loader just a short while before I left and never got a chance to hunt with it. I am changing duty stations and will be home for late muzzy and figured I could give it a shot. I grew up in the Waterloo area and usually hunted either my uncles land near vinton or the public land north of cedar falls.

My question is where is my best chance for late muzzy? The public land north of cedar or my uncles north of vinton? My uncles land has probably been pushed all throughout shot gun as well as the public area. So what's my best bet? I will be staying in vinton for the time I'm home. His land is bordered by the cedar river. I've never shot anything there but I have seen deer. Or do you guys recommend a different public area?

Thanks for any help!

Also has anyone ever lived in Texas? I will be there for the next 3 years or so. Around the temple area. Just wondering what the hunting is like there and anything I should know about.

Coming from Hawaii I have not hunted anything for almost four years!

River bottoms are usually good. Getting permission to private ground is easier late as well.

Not sure about the Temple area but you will likely have to lease ground to have a chance at deer. Good thing is you will get there early enough to maybe develope some contacts and get on a lease with others. The better the area for deer the higher the lease. Iowa is starting down that path now I'm afraid.

I would have been hunting in Hawaii!! Any way its hard to tell you which land to hunt. The Vinton area has a lot of good public, however there's a lot of down trees. Cedar falls gets hit hard all year long. I would stay at your uncles or find public around Vinton.

I may be all wrong on this but I would think there would be a red white and blue land owner that would let a man serving in the military, off on leave, hunt his property. Good luck to you.

Hopefully we get some cold and snow. I used to hunt some of that ground north of Cedar Falls and did quite well during bow season. After shotgun and all the pushing the deer seemed to have vanished unless it was REALLY cold. If it's cold, hunt the food. If not, try to find where the deer are bedding and get close to that.

Top Bottom