Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Coming to Iowa

Greendeem

I'm coming to Iowa to hunt near Volga this weekend for Firearms season. Does anyone hunt this area? What kind of hunting can I expect for the gun season?

Do you have a place lined up to hunt? I'm not real familiar with that area. The northeast section of the state can be pretty hilly. Assuming you have a place to hunt, I would try to find some features that form a funnel. Best bet would be a funnel heading for thick cover. Sit tight as there should be more than adequate hunting pressure to get the deer moving. Good luck.

I live in the area. A ton of hunters always hunt the first season in the park area. If hunting alone, or in a small group, I would look for escape routes to neighboring timbers and set up shop there. Many a big buck taken from that area every year. good luck
wink.gif

Thanks for the responses. Yes, I have a place to hunt. Not with an outfitter or anything, just some buddies private ground. I think it is about 300 acres northeast of Volga. Somewhere between A avenue and Archer. I'm going with a couple other guys who are friends with the guy. The land has never been hunted, legally, and the owner does not live there. So I'm sure it's probably going to be like public ground on opening day. Thanks for any help. Just looking forward to a hunting trip to your state.

I have hunted that area years ago I would set all day if you can stand it. there will be a lot of deer moving around so stay planted I have shot some very good bucks there also. my best from this area is a 158 5/8ths 10 pt. shot second gun season weighed 252 lbs field dressed. I had set almost all day it was about 2 pm when he came by.
good luck and keep us posted on your success.
peace.gif

Top Bottom