Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

commentary in the des moines register

teeroy

Life Member
i read this in last saturday's register, and contacted the author and got his permission to post his article online.

this is the entire article that was submitted to the des moines register.

mike kalkwarf of otley is a county conservation park ranger

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The deer debate has been brought up many times in the last few years and recently with the DNR facing budget deficits it has escalated from primarily a management issue to an overwhelmingly financial issue. As a professional in the conservation field and a lifelong Iowa resident and outdoorsman, I would like to offer my perspective. Deer hunting and deer management in this state, like many things, is a much more complex issue than most seem to realize. To begin with, there are two very different types of deer hunting in the state. One is for antlerless deer, which are often hunted for population management and putting venison in the freezer. The other is for antlered deer, and in Iowa that means trophy bucks, and is more of the recreational side of deer hunting.

The buck hunting in this state is the reason that non-residents from all over the country are willing to come here and pay top dollar to hunt and is what will be adversely affected by increasing the non-resident tag quota. A lot of people are quick to try to compare Iowa to its neighbors and make our regulations more like theirs. They seem to forget what separates us from them, and it is those differences that make our state “the” great place to hunt trophy caliber bucks. It is no secret that Iowa charges a premium for non-residents to come here and hunt. When you average out all of our neighbors non-resident deer hunting fees you quickly see the difference. They average $240.00 for a non resident deer hunt while Iowa charges $415.00. How can such a price difference exist? It is one thing and one thing only, bucks. The three main things that separate Iowa from its neighbors are:

The timing of our firearms seasons. We don’t hunt our deer during the rut when the bucks are most vulnerable.
Our method of take. We don’t shoot deer with rifles during the gun seasons or use crossbows during the archery seasons.
We limit the number of hunters. We have caps on non-residents and we spread out resident hunters among a limited number of season choices.

What would happen in the state of Iowa if we start to alter the things that have separated us? A change in any one of the above policies can and will drastically alter the face of deer hunting in this state. An increase in nonresidents will do a few things. It will increase the pressure on bucks, not on the deer herd. Non-residents come here for one reason, buck hunting. The more pressure you put on that limited resource, the more its quality will diminish. There has also been a lot of talk about the amount of money they will bring into the state. That is a fact, they will bring in money, and that money will come in the form of land purchases and leasing from big money land owners and outfitters. The more and more land they lock up, the more the average Iowa resident AND non-resident hunter will be displaced, pushed into Iowa’s very small resource that is public hunting. This will also create more deer “sanctuaries” compounding the issue of deer populations in the state as well.

We don’t have to look far for an example. Illinois is the closest comparison in both available deer habitat and regulations. The thing that they do very different is allow a very high quota on non-resident deer hunters, one that they have slowly increased over the years to bring in more revenue for the state. What has happened over there? You have to pay in order to play. The only non-residents that bother are those that are willing to shell out big bucks to hunt and the resident hunter has been pushed aside, compounding their deer population issues and disenfranchising the resident hunter.

Now what about the deer population question in Iowa, the other half of the deer debate. Right now we have the proper mechanisms in place to take care of the issue by reducing the antlerless deer. The cities and parks can use the population management zone system and the farmers can use the depredation program to effectively reduce the deer herd in problem areas. As far as making it more effective, simple economics 101 has the answer. The depredation tags are already sold at a reduced cost and the price must be reduced accordingly in the counties and management areas that are not selling out. With these two systems in place the only areas that will have problems are those not willing to help themselves.

What is the solution to the DNR’s budget woes? Economics 101 again gives the “no-brainer” answer. About 12,000 non-residents applied for 6,000 tags, wouldn’t a price increase be in order? Also, I as a resident would gladly pay extra for my antlered (recreational) hunting tags. But, I will only gladly pay as long as the quality of Iowa’s deer herd is maintained just as the non-resident hunter will pay for quality. Major changes to our regulations as they exist will impact the quality and with that the deer hunter dollar will fade, just as it did with the pheasant hunter dollar. There is also a host of other recreational users, they are the hikers, wildlife watchers, horse riders, geocachers, etc; the list goes on and on. Why is it that the hunters and anglers are the only ones paying the bill? An increase in fees shouldn’t just be for one select group of outdoor users it should be spread out among all who benefit, and that after all, is the entire state.

</div></div>

The DSM Register gets to a lot of people's doorsteps... Hope this article was read by all of them!

Couldn't agree more! I hope it opened the eyes of many who are on the fence about this issue. Thanks Mike! Great article and very well written! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

For the most part, that is a very well written piece.

I for one believe that we in Iowa need to do whatever it takes to find more funding for all outdoor activities. (Everyone should help fund them) I really hope the sales tax bill gets approved when we get to vote on the issue.

I do have issues with those folks who believe that we should not share our resources with more nonresidents. I believe that a big percentage of the most vocal critics of that have no qualms about traveling out of state for similar activities.

I believe careful management of our deer herd can provide more opportunities for non residents. I personally believe that NO gun hunting during the heart of the rut SHALL remain inviolate.

I also am EXTREMELY EXTREMELY disappointed with Pheasants Forever and the IDNR attitudes that habitat is the only cure for our pheasants heading for extinction. There is something else going on. Those two organizations need to take a look outside that box.

I worked with a company that has just completed a months work in Saline county Missouri. We drove EVERY road in that county. That county has virtually unlimited habitat. In that county, from daylight to dark, we NEVER saw or heard a quail or pheasant. Not one!!!!!!!!!! Something is bad wrong and burying our head in the sand and blaming the farmers who provide nearly ALL of the habitat is VERY counterproductive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> But, I will only gladly pay as long as the quality of Iowa’s deer herd is maintained just as the non-resident hunter will pay for quality. Major changes to our regulations as they exist will impact the quality and with that the deer hunter dollar will fade, just as it did with the pheasant hunter dollar. There is also a host of other recreational users, they are the hikers, wildlife watchers, horse riders, geocachers, etc; the list goes on and on. Why is it that the hunters and anglers are the only ones paying the bill? </div></div>

This was the best chunk in the whole article, IMO. I also hope a lot of people read this. Too many people are focused on the short-term NOW fix...do they realize that once the quality is gone so is the $$$$?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunt iowa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I do have issues with those folks who believe that we should not share our resources with more nonresidents. I believe that a big percentage of the most vocal critics of that have no qualms about traveling out of state for similar activities.
</div></div>

I guess I'm one of the folks you are referring to. I have gone out of state once and plan on another trip. The reason I go out of state to hunt is the animal I am hunting is not in Iowa. I went to Kansas to hunt Rio turkeys and I will be going to Oklahoma to hunt boars. I believe whitetail deer are in all 50 states with the possible exception of Hawaii.

I think you are right about there being more to the population decline of pheasants than habitat. Are we using a chemical (herbicide/insecticide) that could be causing the decline? I have heard, but have not read this for myself, that there is as much habitat now as 20 or so years ago. I am a member of PF, but not what I would call an active one so I don’t know if they are indeed only beating the habitat drum of if they are considering other potential reasons for the decline in numbers.

The ‘Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunt iowa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Yeah, that pretty well describes me also. I firmly believe we should share our resources but I further think our current setup is precisely what allows such a unique opportunity for the nonresident hunter. Never hunted out of state myself.

Bonker, to answer your question on herbicide, we are using some of the safest, most ecological friendly herbicides that have ever been used.

As for fungicides and insecticides, I think there could be something to those, as in the last 3 years, they both have risen in popularity in corn and soybean fields, mostly applied by air, which is not 100% on target everytime.

I have heard some very interesting ideas on Pheasant / Quail numbers. The one that sticks out in my mind is not so much “how much” habitat but what type of habitat. By that I mean, what is growing in all those fields and CRP acres? Birds need small grain producing plants to not only thrive but just to survive. We no longer grow oats and wheat here in Iowa like we used to, but those are exactly what type of grains these birds need. (Think about it, what do they grow in Kansas, Nebraska and South Dakota?) If the DNR would change the mix for CRP or buffer strips I think we would see those numbers go way up. Did you know that some of the plants in the CRP mix actually are harmful to birds and even deer? Some plants cause the blood to thin which cause a bird or other animal to be more susceptible to the cold. I read somewhere that quail eating wheat can survive -25 degrees but a quail eating beans can only survive 0 degrees.

As for herbicides, they get rid of broad leaf vegetation. Broad leaf vegetation is what bugs eat. Bugs are what young birds eat. See the connection?

I don't have a problem with NR hunters, just don't think we need any more. As for NR landowners, when they pay all the gas taxes, local option taxes, income taxes, sales taxes, spread their income around in the towns, and then contribute to the communities of our great state then they can have the same privileges as resident landowners/ hunters. Until then, play by our rules or hunt your own state.

You must own all your own hunting ground, because if you dont I believe your tune would change if it was all lease out and left you no where to hunt iowa. We should share but have a limit IMO.

Great article,very well put.

Top Bottom