Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Common Ragweed problem

cornfield

I planted a mixture of turnips, chicory, rape, and clover this spring. The plot came up well, but I have a ton of ragweed growing as well. Seems as if the ragweed was in the seed mix that I bought because there is very little weed growth other than this. Anyway, is there anything that I can use to spray it that won't kill my plot? Thanks.

Ragweed should grow faster and be taller than the other plants. If so, one of the round-up wick applicator systems ought to work. Now finding one to borrow/rent is a whole 'nother problem. Maybe build one? Just a thought. Wick applicators

JNRBRONC is correct. If you spray for broadleaf, your plot will get smoked! You never mentioned how tall the problem weeds were but I am assuming they are towering over the wanted stuff. If your plot is small enough you should be able to walk through with some neighborhood kids and hand pull the ragweed but that is labor intesive...but it will work. Or, you could get away with clipping slightly....I don't believe that will harm the brasicas...definitely not the chicory. Taking the tops out of the target weeds is key. But I would wait till just before a good rain to do that.

A grass herbicide like Select would help with any grasses, though, without harm to your wanted crop.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Yes, the ragweed is quite a bit taller that most of the plot. The plot is about an acre, maybe a little more. I will look into the wick applicator. Maybe even just spray Shredder's shirt with roundup and and let him run around in it for a while. Sorry buddy, couldn't pass it up!

Top Bottom