Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

computer dying, need to purchase

muddy

Our computer keeps doing blue screen time outs and errors all over the place, pretty sure it's going to kick the bucket any day now. I'd say this thing is old enough that it'd cost more to fix than replace.

Computer gaming is a thing of the past for me so it's only internet and picture/photo shopping.

Suggestions on brands/types/etc?

Geek squad at Best buy is a huge help and Best buy was great to deal with. They are very knowledgeable and will let you mix and match and upgrade screen size, speakers, etc. They also will come install and offer warranties and other BS. I was very impressed and can honestly say it made the whole buying a computer experience actually not a pain in the a$$. I spent around 1300.00 and got more than I will ever need! Bose speakers, Gateway computer, hp printer, HD screen, hell...I donno just go look and you'll find what you want. lol

That's all I got!

Last edited:
blue screen of death. I have had pretty good luck with my hp pavilion. Not too pricey. Can get them at walmart for around 500-600

Also looking at some sort of external hard drive to store all our pictures on. I am worried that the current machine will turd out before we purchase and all pictures are gone.

Hey Muddy...Hoffert is great with this.

I have to say, if you're into performance, pics, video, and don't want pop-ups or viruses, then the Mac's are the way to go (iMac's probably in your case). You can get a basic one for around $1000.00 (and they go up from there). LoessHillsArcher just got one last year and that will be my next purchase. I hated Macs before I had to use one for school. Once i learned, I will never go back to a PC...(not trying to start a war here).

Also, external HD, find a good Terabyte external (MyBook maybe?)...the iMac's have a great feature called TimeWarp that will automatically back up your computer. You can go back to any day that it saved info from and pull any file...even deleted ones I believe. I use it on my MacBook Pro.

Any ?'s, give me a buzz...

I am CONSTANTLY using my laptop and desktop for work... I have over a 100 gigs of pictures, and more than twice that of video footage... I don't store any pictures on either computer, rather keep what I need at the time on the desktop and back them up on a portable hard drive. Once I am done with said pix, I remove them from the computers desktop... the more shiz you have on your computer's harddrive the more it has to work... which is just not good for it.

Get a 500 gig to 1 terabyte portable hard drive and back everything up to that. In your case a 500 gig oughta be enough unless you start saving any kind of video. Video eats up storage uber fast. If that is the case, go with the terabyte. YOu can find a 500 gig for probalby 45-60 bucks, but don't skimp and by the cheap ones... you get what you pay for... and I know how cheap you are :grin:

And, I would suggest spending the money on a quality lap top too. My suggestion is MacBook Pro... I used to work on PCs exclusively, but after I made the change I wonder why people still use PCs.... (not trying to start anything :grin: ) and don't worry about compatability, you won't loose access to any of the stuff you currently use by switching to a mac, those things are built to transition form PC to Mac. EVERYTHING I used to have on my PC is available now and I still use it through my mac. so that won't be an issue.

Just a suggestion, but once you go Mac you'll never go back! :D

Good luck!

Hey Muddy...Hoffert is great with this.

I have to say, if you're into performance, pics, video, and don't want pop-ups or viruses, then the Mac's are the way to go (iMac's probably in your case).

this is an EXCELLENT point. No more purchasing or updating anti-virus subscriptions or software, Macs have it built in.... It just makes sense... :grin:

500 Gig? Terabyte?

My current machine is like 20 gb

Terabyte is 1000 gigs. you'd have a hard time filling that up... :D

20 gigs? that sounds pre-historic! :grin: ya, its time for an update. You'll love the space you have on a 500 gig HD

I would also like one that if I have to call customer support/service I'm not talking to some douche in India. 3/4 of that time is spent me saying "What? Huh? I can't understand you. Please repeat that" Turns a 30 minute call into a 3 hour clustertruck.

I would also like one that if I have to call customer support/service I'm not talking to some douche in India. 3/4 of that time is spent me saying "What? Huh? I can't understand you. Please repeat that" Turns a 30 minute call into a 3 hour clustertruck.

Mac.... Very easy customer service, but for the most part you won't need em....

are you getting the picture???

:grin:

Mac.... Very easy customer service, but for the most part you won't need em....

are you getting the picture???

:grin:

I have to agree with Thomas here Matt. We just got a Mac and it is pretty cool! If you are going to do photoshop this is the one you want.

Get a 1-3 TB external drive. You can get a decent Western Digital or other common brand for under $100 just about daily. Here is a link to a 2T Western Digital at buy.com

http://www.buy.com/prod/western-d...18326.html

If that link is not active anymore check all over their website or slickdeals.net, either one will get you backed up in a day or so.

As far as computer, no real recommendations but you can find one for surfing the web, pics, etc. Dell has the optiplex pretty cheap right now

Dell OptiPlex 380 Minitower Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor E5800 3.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 250GB for $339.00+Free Shipping

Kratz

I bought a brand new HP from Wal-mart a month ago for $600 & it didn't work. Thankfully they let me return it. I then went & bought 2 new ram sticks for my 7 year old computer from DIT & installed them (very easy by the way) and it made a huge difference in performance. I went from 512 to 2048 Ram.

Top Bottom