Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Confiscate, all semi-automatic guns

blake

Life Member
§ Rural Caucus Chair: Iowa should ban , confiscate, all semi-automatic guns

12/26/2012

State Rep. Dan Muhlbauer, D-Manilla, says Iowa lawmakers should ban semi-automatic guns and “start taking them” from owners who refuse to surrender any illegal firearms through a buy-back program.

In an interview, a fiery Muhlbauer, the chairman of the Iowa House Democratic Rural Caucus with a reputation for often voting with Republicans, said it is time to act with “radical changes” on gun laws and other issues to protect schoolchildren from shooting sprees like the one in Newtown, Conn.

“We cannot have big guns out here as far as the big guns that are out here, the semi-automatics and all of them,” Muhlbauer said. “Those are not hunting weapons.

He added, “We should ban those in Iowa.”

Muhlbauer, who did not list the specific weapons he wants outlawed in the interview, said he would like to see the ban implemented in a retroactive fashion.

“Even if you have them, I think we need to start taking them,” Muhlbauer said. “Because if they’re out there, they’re just going to get circulated around to the wrong people. Those guns should not be in the public’s hands. There are just too many guns.”

If such a ban were implemented, Muhlbauer suggested a voluntary buy-back plan. But he would go further if needed.

“If we find them on the street, there’s going to have to be some sort of penalty for them,” Muhlbauer said.

Templeton Mayor Ken Behrens, a Republican, said Muhlbauer’s proposal smacks of an overreach that is out of touch with much of rural Iowa.

“I would hate to see a law where it would be mandated that somebody start taking guns,” Behrens said. “I don’t think that would go over well.”
Muhlbauer said the state also should eye more careful screening of who enters schools, government buildings and other facilities. He also suggested consideration of steel doors to prevent entry to classrooms by gunmen. Metal detectors or armed guards at schools may be legitimate options as well, he said.

“We have not done enough in the past, and this is running away from us,” Muhlbauer said. “We can’t have this anymore.”

Muhlbauer, a cattleman and farmer, owns three guns — a .410 shotgun, a .22 rifle and a .22 pistol.

He does some pheasant hunting and skeet shooting with the guns.
Muhlbauer said flatly that he’s not frightened politically by the National Rifle Association or the Iowa Gun Owners.

“As you know, the last couple of years I’ve been fighting against them,” Muhlbauer said. “I have told them time and time again, ‘You guys are wanting the gun laws so loose that that pendulum is going to swing back and it’s going to bite you.’ And that’s just what we don’t want to see happen now. We want to put in stricter rules with common sense. I don’t want to have the gun laws slung back so far that we start taking guns away and start limiting them to where people cannot enjoy guns, those that want to have it. And that’s what I’m afraid, if we keep having these incidents happen, is what’s going to happen.”

Muhlbauer said promoting tough gun laws and protecting children in schools are important enough to lose an election advocating.

“We’re talking people’s lives,” Muhlbauer said. “You want to start losing children’s lives and adult lives over a gun issue because the NRA thinks we’re stepping on somebody’s toes?”

He said the response to the school shootings has to amount to more than legislative tinkering.

“With all these shootings going, we have to start making radical changes and radical choices from what we’ve done in the past,” Muhlbauer said.
In coming months, Muhlbauer said, he will work to unite rural and urban legislators on efforts to prevent school shooting sprees and other violence.

Mental health must be up to date and not full of loopholes, he said. Muhlbauer also identified violent video games as a concern.

“We’ve got these video games out here for these little kids,” he said.

“Maybe it’s time we start pulling them away. They’re playing some really nasty games on there that are shoot-’em-up. Evidently our culture is pointing toward this.”

Muhlbauer said he doesn’t know how the Legislature would go about prohibiting children from playing video games he finds objectionable.

“As parents, they’re going to have to start watching what their kids are doing more closely,” he said. CV

I'm guessing/hoping this will be his last term. I think rural Iowa has a lot more things that need addressed politically than wasting our dollars trying to pass, let alone enforce, something like this.

Muhlbauer, a cattleman and farmer, owns three guns — a .410 shotgun, a .22 rifle and a .22 pistol.

He does some pheasant hunting and skeet shooting with the guns.

He must be pretty good with that .22 pistol if he shoots skeet with it.....;)

I would venture to say both of those .22s are semi auto. May not be but a lot of 22 rifles are and many 22 pistols would be as well. Even a double action revolver would be considered semi auto correct?

Start sending him emails guys. He needs to know that he is NOT the majority voice on this issue, and he is greatly overstepping his boundaries as a public servent. This needs to be brought to the masses attention quickly. Speak up guys!

Start sending him emails guys. He needs to know that he is NOT the majority voice on this issue, and he is greatly overstepping his boundaries as a public servent. This needs to be brought to the masses attention quickly. Speak up guys!

I agree 1000%! If you have never contacted your state legislator or senator, right now is the time. Even a short, personal email is important. If you don't have time or if you are too busy, etc...then don't complain when your rights are pinched later.

http://www.legis.state.ia.us/aspx/Legislators/SenateEmail.aspx

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/Legislators/house.aspx

PS. Where are the smare aleck liberals now that were making fun of anyone that projected that the Dems would go for gun control in an Obama second term, huh?

I grew up 2 miles from Dan. he is and always has been a dipsh#t. how he ever got elected in the first place is beyond me.

This is what is exactly what's wrong with politicians. He is trying to push his agenda and personal opinion to bring about changes. He was elected to do as his constituents wanted and not neccessarily what he personally wanted. Mr. Muhlbauer, you sir just talked your way out of another term and lost a lot of respect statewide and nationwide. Just because you were elected to a position, does not mean your personal views on every topic are right. It is what the majority of your constituents feel is right. Do your duty and quit pushing your personal agenda. You're walking a slippery slope.

People need to get educated, especially all these politicians and media who throw around terms like "Semi-Automatic" around to make guns sound scary. I would guess that you could lump just about every gun that holds more than one bullet a semi-auto these days.

Same goes wtih "Assault Rifles". There are just cosmetic differences between those and regular hunting rifles with the exception of the magazine capacity.. But they are black and scary looking so we should ban them.

Des Moines Mayor Cownie was spewing the same stuff last week. Loosly throwing these terms around and you could tell he didn't know a damn thing about what guns are used for hunting or not.

Then he personally needs to be the one rounding them up if it comes to that. He wont have the balls to enforce it himself.

"Shall not be infringed" means, Im turning nothing in!

Daver; PS. Where are the smare aleck liberals now that were making fun of anyone that projected that the Dems would go for gun control in an Obama second term said:
Right here Daver. Thanks for those links by the way, and your right about sending those emails. If you have time to post on here, you have time for that email...
As far as the government taking our guns, who could have predicted this? And by "this" I mean what happened in CT. If you take that out of the equation do you guys really think all these anti-gunners would be coming out of the woodwork like this? Do you think a Republican president would have prevented that tragedy? Do you think a Republican president would keep the anti-gunners from running their mouths after this tragedy? Well its a moot question now.
So what's next? Seriously. Get on pro-hunting webistes and cry? How about actually contacting our lawmakers? Be respectful, be smart. Tell them your side. Explain that you don't like being villified simply because you own an item that has smiliar characteristcs to one that was involved in a tragedy. Any one on here drive a vehicle similiar to the ones used in drunk driving fatalities? Any body on here use prescription meds? The kind kids steal and then OD on? No? Ok good. The point is haven't broken ANY laws yet we being treated like we are about to. A few very emotional people are going to try to regulate something they know very little about. I could go on but you get the idea. We will have speak up and educate the politicians and the public in general.
Sorry, that was a little long winded.

As far as the government taking our guns, who could have predicted this?
Irregardless of the events in CT, I'd be shocked if you could say Feinstein's proposals are a surprise, knowing her history. She is trying to seize the emotional moment to advance her views.

As to contacting legislators, I've been in touch with them all (local, state and federal), in the sane and rational manner you suggest. More than guns to blame here IMO and I have shared that with them. :way:

"Videogames don't affect kids, I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive music."

I play videogames and 'own' a gun. The kids (and adults) that shoot up schools/places were probably born messed up in the head. IMO it's not the videogames.

Top Bottom