Confused!

huntingkid

buck1.mp4.html
Well tonight I stuck my first buck with a bow about 30 yards at 6:15. He was prolly 140 9 point. I started tracking him at 8 and found the arrow. The arrow never passed through went in 11 inches which it is a 28 1/2 inch arrow. The arrow was all red blood and brown hair. Had some good blood for about 60 yards but came to little drops and nothing. I saw the arrow stuck in him looked right around the lungs or so. Idk if I stuck in good and wat stopped the arrow from going all the way through? Going back out in the am to look.

Last edited:
Just stick with it. Hopefully it went in and popped the off side shoulder and came back out in which the hole may have got plugged with fat or something. 11 inches I would say you didn't hit the front shoulder and stopped it. A lot of times you will only get 3-4 inches penetration unless your using a fairly high KE set up. 11 inches in the lungs should kill him. If single lung he can go aways.

Go back in the morning, be quiet and bring your bow., He may be still alive in the morning. You just never know. Did you notice any bubbles in the blood?

Doesnt sound like guts are a possibility, likely hit backside should and bounced back. What Broadhead?

IF you feel you had good blood keep hope, probably just overlooked something.

Hard to tell for me from the video, but he acts like he is starting to gimp up in the end of the video. If that is the case he is most likely hurtin bad. Keep after it. He may have had his wound clogged up, and if you can't find blood I would start grid searching the area.

Id be suprised If you didnt fine him tommorow. From what your saying i think you got atleast 1 lung. Stay with it tommorow and i hope you find him.

I wondered about a back end hit after seeing the video. Couldn't see the hit, but with a walking deer at 30 yards, unless you really lead him, your arrow could have hit a rear quarter. That could be why you didn't get a pass through. I will say though, 11 inches of penetration in that area even could have killed that deer. Lots of arteries in that area. The blood to me almost looks like a muscle hit, which would line up with a hit in that area. Just keep after him. I've hit deer in that spot and found them. Keep in mind, this is just speculation. I wasn't there, so your front hit could be right. Just makes me wonder.

Well been looking since 7 and grid searched with 4 guys a good mile and came across nothing. Here's some of the blood I found before it come to little drops and then nothing.
1E0529CE-12D3-4C7A-8D78-4CCD7D5EE0BE-20269-000012E5395FD54D.jpg

Really makes me upset but its bow hunting and its one of the toughest thing to do. My mistake I think I did was never stop the deer but I thought he was walking slow enough I didn't have to. You learn from your mistakes tho.

I'd say that dark spot is where you hit him in the hind quarter.. a touch higher and you would have probably gotten the femoral artery in which case he wouldn't have made it 50 yards. Whether to stop the deer or not on a slow walk is a hard choice to make sometimes.. Danged if you do, danged if you don't... That far out, I would have definitely tried to stop him, but, then he might have ducked your arrow.

That video looks like you got him right in the hip. When he whirls its almost as if his backside was knocked off balance.

Hard to tell from the picture, but that almost looks like muscle blood....??? Could it have been a meat shot like gundog suggests?

After watching the video a billion times and that picture. I'm going with a hindquarters shot. It didn't hit anything good cause he went well over 100 yards before I lost blood. I'm guessing he's hurting somewhere but gonna see another day.

Back