Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Considering new broadheads

I have used 100 GR Muzzy fixed broadheads the last two years and I have yet to not find a deer I shot with them- last week I shot 3 does and none of them ran farther than 40 yards before crashing. And I have always had pass thru as well- I haven't had any issue with them falling off at the bottom like others- but each hunter has his pref!
717605_L1

I use and recommend the g5 montec CS. To resharpen them I run the broadhead over a stationary file. Next I run the broadhead over a stationary sharpening stone that has coarse, medium, and fine surfaces. It's quick and very sharp when completed.

I shot slick tricks last year because I heard so much great stuff about them. I shot two does last fall that were 15 yards, complete pass throughs right behind the shoulder and neither one of those does died. Got pics this summer of one of the does with a big scar right behind the shoulder ... done with slick tricks.

I won't throw the BS flag because you probably truly believe what you wrote but there must be more to this story. Maybe, just maybe, you could get a pass through in the chest with a target point and have the deer survive, but even a dull fixed blade would kill it. Might not kill it quick enough that you found it, but it would kill it! Either the entry or the trajectory was different than you thought, but a pass through the chest with a fixed blade broadhead WILL kill the deer. It's plain and simple physiology. It can't not kill it.

Chalk me up as a slick trick guy. Cheap, sharp, durable, accurate, great penetration, great blood trails. That about sums it up. Used to shoot expandables until I caught a shoulder and it might as well have bounced off. Very seldom did I have passthrus. Shot montecs which I liked but they leave tiny holes and poor blood trails.

Lots of good heads out there. Shot placement is everything.

I've seen 185 grain expandable crossbow bolt broadheads at Bass Pro. Can I shoot those effectively out of a compound? They have a THREE INCH cutting diameter!!:eek:

I shot slick tricks last year because I heard so much great stuff about them. I shot two does last fall that were 15 yards, complete pass throughs right behind the shoulder and neither one of those does died. Got pics this summer of one of the does with a big scar right behind the shoulder ... done with slick tricks.

:D I understand! I shot expandables a couple years! Shot a doe at twenty yards RIGHT BEHIND THE SHOULDER!! The guy sitting beside me in a pop up blind saw the hit ! Said "NICE SHOT" !! Looked kinda hinky tho! Lotta arrow hanging out?????? We found the arrow ! Never opened ! Won't use one again! As far as slicktricks!! Shot a 150 ish buck ! Right behund the shoulder! He went about 60 yrds and all 4 feet were in the air!! Shot was 35 yrds! Year before last shot a 25# Tom with one...He went about 40 and dropped like a rock! Cooter posted the video on here! Ya may be able to dig it up!! Point is I get it!! If you head into the field with a piece of equipment that let you down your a fool!! For now! I love those Tricks!!!:D They make a dandy hole!!!!:way::way:

I like my magnus buzzcuts I've been using. Shoot great and the have a lifetime replacement warranty. Shoot one, practice with it, booger it up, send it back and they will replace it. I like that!

If I were to go back to a fixed head it would definitely be a buzzcut

I usually shoot Slick Trick Magnum (1 1/8") 100 gr broadheads. They fly great and are very sharp and less than $30 a 3-pk. Shot my MN buck with them last year actually.

For some reason I decided to go with the Grim Reapor Whitetail Special 2" cut mechanical. Read a lot of good things about them. Willing to give it a try. But if I want to shoot a fixed blade it is no doubt Slick Trick Magnum for me!

I was shooting the magnus snuffer ss broadheads a couple years ago, but when I was having trouble putting an edge back on them made the switch to NAP hellrazors. Couldn't be happier! Three does down this year, they all fell within 40 yards, and my arrows were all stuck in to the dirt several inches. All of those heads again have a razor edge on them and are back in my quiver.

Slick tricks by far. Cheaper, and has an all steel ferrule. Its shorter than most fixed heads which is why they tune so good. If I ever use mechanicals, its grim reapers. I used Slick Trick Mags for 2 years with great results.

Slick trick magnums hands down. Have tried multiple but when it comes to accuracy, penetration, and dependability, slick tricks do it for me.

Top Bottom