Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Control burn on wetlands

arm

Leg
Has anyone ever burned a wetlands? I'm looking for advice on setting up the fire breaks. There isn't an established fire break, I'm learning as I go and I can't get in there to mow because it's too wet.
I've burned a couple times in the past and tilled up the parameter extra wide. I just can't do that here.
Or hiring it done, I'd look for options there too.
It's 5 acres and good amount of RCG.
Thanks for your help

When we burnt ours it was a similar situation and the local volunteer fire department used it as a training session for grass fires and to use some new equipment.

I like to create firebreaks by use of back burns. Basically starting on the down wind side of the wetlands and light small fires that you can keep under control to create a fire break. Once you are satisfied with your firebreak, start the main fire on the down wind side and let it slowly work its way up wind. You obviously want that "wind" to be more like a gentle breeze and a few helpers with shovels or back pack sprayers are advised. I would google "controlled burn" for some other good tips.

Like suggested, the local FD will come out and help burn, for a cut of the reimbursement and some beer :) thank you for that tip!

What would be something "different" to interseed? Grasses, cattails, whatever. There's some reeds canary and just weeds. There's half standing water. Deer cover is more the goal over other critters. And would be nice for some diversity against the rest of the farm

...did this once in wetland with lots of peat. Fire was going a month later. Scary. There have been documented cases of fires going on for YEARS in beat bogs.

...I know.... not what your doing. Just a crazy side note.

Do your best to put the firebreak through fuels less flammable than RCG, that stuff burns hot!! If you can get into some leaf litter, the fire would be much easier to control. I know it isn't always possible, but you'd be working with 1-2' flame lengths as opposed to 6-10'. Sometimes it's easier to burn a larger area just to get into lesser fuels.
Good luck.

Top Bottom