Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Controlling Black Locust

LoessHillsArcher

PMA Member
Controlling Black Locust Video

Black locust are notorious for being invasive and difficult to control. Just when you think you've killed them they'll send up a bunch of sucker sprouts on you. We've tried Tordon RTU in April (horrible timing) and it looked like we fertilized them. I've tried foliar applications of crossbow and it worked but was a huge pain on any tree above 4ft tall. This year I'm trying a new (new to me) method of controlling them. It isn't a secret method, it's one that has been suggested to me for a while but I finally got around to trying it out. I'm going to post my results here and try to post videos as much as possible.

On July 19th I took out the new hatchet and a squirt bottle filled with 1 part Remedy Ultra to 2 parts diesel fuel. I was going to test killing some black locust with this mix.
11013446_10101130839810133_8476930405256896251_n.jpg

I'm happy to report 11 days later the locust I hit looked like this! I was using the hack-n-squirt method and tried it on trees mostly around 1-3" but did some up to ~6-8" in diameter. I didn't take any pics of what the larger trees looked like today but they were yellowing and definitely showing signs of death. I think on the larger trees I'd use a drill to put a couple holes in them and then fill the holes with chemical. I'm also going to watch to see if we get a bunch of sucker sprouts as a result of this. I sure hope not!
11229307_10101141598584463_7928227864878273590_n.jpg

Very nice! I did some traditional girdling with Tordon this year and worked well but your method looks quicker.
I kinda think it's gonna be a never ending battle - each year on my stands I'm going to have to kill them. I think long term on mine, I will have to plant desirable trees to finally transform those areas or it will never end.
Looking great, good to see dead black locust!

I kinda think it's gonna be a never ending battle - each year on my stands I'm going to have to kill them.
Ya, I'm curious what happens with this area next year... I plan on going back in here and killing the majority of this stand this year. We'll see what is left next year or what comes back. I'm hoping it will just be small stuff and I can spray it with a backpack and some Crossbow. I'll have to take a picture of the main black locust trees in this area... they're well over 12" DBH... :eek:

Those ones we may have to turn into firewood eventually!

You'll get your best kill in August. They start storing food for next year then. Everything is heading down to the roots. Good luck.

You'll get your best kill in August. They start storing food for next year then. Everything is heading down to the roots. Good luck.

I agree. We smoked a smaller patch by basal application last fall.

You could also do a shallow girdle, just through the bark and into the holding wood, then treat with chemical. I have done hack and squirt with a hatchet before and by the end of the day my arms were done.

Hopefully you will get a root kill and will not have to deal with root suckering.

Top Bottom