Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Convert Sloped Cattle Pasture to Habitat

lazy_turtle

I know there’s probably several threads about this, but just had a few questions.

I have roughly 10 acres here that was old cattle pasture. It’s primarily fescue cattle pasture. I want to convert it into some prime deer habitat.

Had a few questions:

* Would you go with seeding native directly, or just spray after a couple hard frosts and see what’s in the seed bank?

* if planting, what are your favorite species?

* if planting, how should I go about prepping and planting this ground? Most of it is not farmable due to the slope. Is it too late to get things prepped this fall?

IMG_6753.jpeg

I would be interested in seeing some responses. I might be in the same situation.

My initial goal is to farm some of it, and trees/grasses on the rest.

lots of viable methods for sure!!!
I’ll start really simple!!!! If it were MINE…. I’d probably kill it off in fall & then spray again in spring & drill New mix in.
I personally wouldn’t go with what’s in seed bank - that’s just me though…. A lot of time- brome & fescue come back. It’s worth a shot though. I personally like: speeding process up and not losing a year potentially. & 2nd: I control what’s planted & growing vs gambling. No Right or wrong though.
1) not too late. Could mow. Then nuke it. Or - could just nuke it in next 30 days. If u throw 3 QTs of gly for example (probably over kill yes BUT it’s only a cost issue) + ams + 2,4-d …. It’ll be wicked dead. & heck, I’ve killed cool seasons off in SPRING with that cocktail. Which is much harder. It’s wicked.
2) what to plant…. U want a nasty thicket of natives or do u want a diverse blend with forbs. Or do u want a portion of each? No right or wrong. Picking Just one seeding is easier. Doing different plantings is a bit harder just cause of different sprays & mixing drill differently. All minor stuff. Tell me what u want & I’ll fire some species examples. Like: one could be a solid switch blend: big rock, CIR, Kanlow, etc. Could also add big blue.
A diverse blend might be: switch, Indian, big blue, side oats grama & then forbs (examples): coneflowers, prairie clovers, maximillian & ox eye sunflower, IL bundleflower, partridge pea, brown/black eye Susan, asters, etc etc

3) how and when….. go nuke that sucker. Mow & nuke it a couple weeks later or just nuke it. I can get a stone cold dead kill without mow but I go higher on rates on gly & ams & 2,4-d so it does cost bit more. Not suggested but I do get away with it. After that…. We get to next steps later. Another spray & add pre emergents next spring based on what u plant. Now u have many months to plan & get ready for spring. Once it’s dead- you’re done for now & tons of time for next steps.

What’s in the seed bank is never what I want. I’m new at this and I have at least one small piece that I want to put into CIR switch next year. I’ve tilled a fire break around it and plan to burn. I’ll use chemicals if be needed too so long as it’s dirt by winter so I can frost seed. That’s my plan.

lots of viable methods for sure!!!
I’ll start really simple!!!! If it were MINE…. I’d probably kill it off in fall & then spray again in spring & drill New mix in.
I personally wouldn’t go with what’s in seed bank - that’s just me though…. A lot of time- brome & fescue come back. It’s worth a shot though. I personally like: speeding process up and not losing a year potentially. & 2nd: I control what’s planted & growing vs gambling. No Right or wrong though.
1) not too late. Could mow. Then nuke it. Or - could just nuke it in next 30 days. If u throw 3 QTs of gly for example (probably over kill yes BUT it’s only a cost issue) + ams + 2,4-d …. It’ll be wicked dead. & heck, I’ve killed cool seasons off in SPRING with that cocktail. Which is much harder. It’s wicked.
2) what to plant…. U want a nasty thicket of natives or do u want a diverse blend with forbs. Or do u want a portion of each? No right or wrong. Picking Just one seeding is easier. Doing different plantings is a bit harder just cause of different sprays & mixing drill differently. All minor stuff. Tell me what u want & I’ll fire some species examples. Like: one could be a solid switch blend: big rock, CIR, Kanlow, etc. Could also add big blue.
A diverse blend might be: switch, Indian, big blue, side oats grama & then forbs (examples): coneflowers, prairie clovers, maximillian & ox eye sunflower, IL bundleflower, partridge pea, brown/black eye Susan, asters, etc etc

3) how and when….. go nuke that sucker. Mow & nuke it a couple weeks later or just nuke it. I can get a stone cold dead kill without mow but I go higher on rates on gly & ams & 2,4-d so it does cost bit more. Not suggested but I do get away with it. After that…. We get to next steps later. Another spray & add pre emergents next spring based on what u plant. Now u have many months to plan & get ready for spring. Once it’s dead- you’re done for now & tons of time for next steps.

Thank you for this! I’ll try to get things killed off here in the next few weeks. As to what exactly I want here, I’m kinda struggling with that.

Here’s my farm.

Red areas are main feeding areas.

Green are small clover plots.

Timber next to eastern feeding area is incredibly thick.

Pink is the field this post is about. It should be the most un pressured and remote part of the farm.

Things I don’t love:

I mainly only have access from the north.

The house on the westerly feeding area (gonna screen this off )

IMG_6757.jpeg

I know this isn't what your question was but ill give my opinion anyways...I would not put that into bedding. That would be my main late season grain plot. with the falls predominately North winds it would be ideal to have a blind on the south fence line. Then I would take the westerly red feeding area and that and the rest of the open areas around it and make it the bedding with the NWSG mix.

The way I see it is if you plant that south fence line to all bedding type things your asking for a problem with deer winding you. Think about your clover plots, how do you hunt those? Your giving up a ton by hunting those areas. I would keep my food on the outside and bedding toward to center of your farm. Sweet looking piece tho.

I know this isn't what your question was but ill give my opinion anyways...I would not put that into bedding. That would be my main late season grain plot. with the falls predominately North winds it would be ideal to have a blind on the south fence line. Then I would take the westerly red feeding area and that and the rest of the open areas around it and make it the bedding with the NWSG mix.

The way I see it is if you plant that south fence line to all bedding type things your asking for a problem with deer winding you. Think about your clover plots, how do you hunt those? Your giving up a ton by hunting those areas. I would keep my food on the outside and bedding toward to center of your farm. Sweet looking piece tho.
I’m definitely open to other options for layout! I can’t quite figure out the best option given my access limitations.

The clover plots aren’t really gonna get hunted much, if at all. Just got them out of fescue.

I would love to do what you’re saying, I’m just not sure how I would hunt the place with that layout. I only have access from the north side of the property at the moment.

I’m definitely open to other options for layout! I can’t quite figure out the best option given my access limitations.

The clover plots aren’t really gonna get hunted much, if at all. Just got them out of fescue.

I would love to do what you’re saying, I’m just not sure how I would hunt the place with that layout. I only have access from the north side of the property at the moment.
Have you asked the south neighbors if you can access through them? It looks like a cattle pasture, which in my experience ranchers dont really care if you walk through them to get to you. Im just saying it would be worth a question. The other thing you could do, which would be alot of work, if cut in a trail along the east and south fence line. Fell trees all along it to block your view. This would work well.

Have you asked the south neighbors if you can access through them? It looks like a cattle pasture, which in my experience ranchers dont really care if you walk through them to get to you. Im just saying it would be worth a question. The other thing you could do, which would be alot of work, if cut in a trail along the east and south fence line. Fell trees all along it to block your view. This would work well.

Yeah. They have some kids that occasionally hunt. Working on getting access from the SW corner from the west side though.

The main issue with going around east side is that there is a good chunk of timber just on other side as well.

Attachments

• IMG_6769.jpeg
    IMG_6769.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 63
Top Bottom