Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cool experience tonight

arrrgh11

Went down to the farm tonight with the wife and 8yr old daughter. We were out picking wild berries and all of a sudden we heard this repeated wheezing noise beyond a ridge in our hay field. So my daughter and I went to investigate. We went and sat at the top of the hay field close to where we heard the noise. Then it started again about 100 yrs from us and we could see this doe walking along the edge of the road with her head down and moving at a good clip while she was wheezing. Then I noticed what she was wheezing at. She was chasing a bobcat away (assuming from her fawn) and much of the time she was only 5-10 ft behind it. I bet she covered a good mile chasing that cat around. It was pretty cool just sitting there watching that.

Don't mess with mama's baby...I'm betting that bobcat got a face full of hoof at some point :grin:

NWBuck

I witnessed a doe nearly beat a gobbler to death several springs ago. After the turkey got away there was one huge pile of feathers.

They are very defensive. I remember when our son was a baby, he was crying like mad one morning and we had the windows open and had a doe charge out of the timber into our back yard. She stopped about 40 yards from the deck and looked right at the window where we were standing. Stood there for a bit stomping her leg. Instincts took over I guess. One of the neatest things that I have seen.

i heard a story here this spring from a lady who said she saw bear in her back field and it had a fawn in its mouth that was still squealing...apparently a hen turkey took charge and went after the bear....sounds weird but with moms and nature nothing would have surprised me.. would have loved to have been there to try and help that poor fawn. never heard the outcome which i assume was not good for the fawn ,

In oct 2010 I shot a doe and its fawn joined another doe and its two fawns right under my stand a bobcat snuck to under my stand and as they passed it passed on the dead does fawn, that fawn about 50lbs put a beating on the cat and ran onto the timber the cat gave up! All within 40 yards of my tree!

Maybe we should start trapping this fall? Lol. I'll be down in a few weeks....we'll be in touch!

Fawn in distress calls are a great way to bring does in close. During the early season. Makes hunting with kids a lot of fun if theres no buck action and the does are out of shooting range.

Last edited:
Top Bottom