Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Coon problems

Keef

I've been having problems with coons messing with my feeders. They have eaten through wiring, messed with the motors and chewed through a couple of the plastic tops on them. The feeders were put out to help the deer through the winter and get a good start in the spring but the coons are messing up my plans.

What do you do to keep coons out of your feeders? Thanks for any help.

They are pretty crafty so I think it will take some inginuity to come up with something to stop them from getting to your feed. About the best way to solve a coon problem would be to find some one local with a good hound and do a little population control. Coon hunting is probably closed for the season though so a live trap may be the only choice for this year.

Back when I was in the service we placed "varmit" protectors one all the line rigging going out to our ship. I'm sure you've seen them before........a piece of smooth metal or heavy plastic shaped like an umbrella that fastens on the supports. They can climb up to it, but can't reach their body around it without slipping off......like I said, maybe you've thought of it already, but if you haven't it might be worth a shot.

I know an ole farmer that strings an electric fence about 6" off the ground (around his sweet corn), wraps a few strips of bacon over the wire. Plugs it into 110.... It's effective, but VERY dangerous...

Every morning he unplugs it and prys their jaws off the wire.

Not advocating this in anyway....

Top Bottom